View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 05:48 PM
seamstome

I feel bad for you and I am teared up because you tried so hard. Sound like your hubby is a good man and I am glad you found him

Here's what I know about fathers....mine is great.

He is little man, only 5'3' who had polio as a child and NEVER could do the normal dad things because of physical problems. He worked every day at menial jobs for low pay until he was 70 without complaining about what had to be daily pain. He was even tempered with us and always proud of us. He was the "go to" parent in the neighborhood when us kids or our friends got in a jam. He would help you out, teach you a lesson and never taddle to the other parents.

He did not become a dad until much later in life but when he was younger he played dad to all of his nieces and nephews when his able-bodied brothers and sisters had no time for their children. I have been told by all of my older cousins that he was as close to a "dad" as they ever had.

He is getting up there now, 83, and with his disabilities he will not be with us long but tomorrow, he will receive calls and gifts from his kids but I bet at least a half dozen of my cousins will stop by or call. They stop by his home all the time, traveling hours to see him and do things for him that they do not do for their own fathers. I know they all wish that he was THEIR dad and are happy that he was in their lives.

This is your father's loss not yours.