Old 06-22-2010, 05:46 AM
JAGSD

Originally Posted by Late Bloomer
I have never joined a guild bt have attended events that showcased their work. What exactly does one do at the meetings? One cannot quilt without a hoop or rack, so does one do hand piecing? Do you bring your sewing machine to work on tops? That is a mystery that I have no knowledge of. Would apprreciate some inside info. Thanks.
I joined the Guild I am with three years ago as a newer quilter. I would also suggest don't rule out another group, the one I go to is very friendly very willing to help. We meet once a month for the business meeting and then also weekly as "work days". On the weekly you can either bring your machine or any hand work or even nothing and just visit. A lot of times I have binding that needs put on, or a couple of years ago I started a grandmothers flower garden that is english paperpieced so may take that. Quite often it is nice to just go and see and get new ideas( the show and tell is wonderful). Many ladies do hand applique I love to see it but do not like to do it, (it kills my neck), some work on the project warmth quilts, some bring their own machines and piece their quilts, some attatch binding, some do embroidery, I have also traced patterns for machine applique. The work days is like a mini business meeting(10-15 minutes) show and tell and then is whatever you want to do, you can stay 10 minutes or 4 hours or more. Sometimes they set up reservations for lunch somethimes only 2 go to that and other times 40 or more.(I haven't done the lunch thing but maybe someday)
I started going as a way to get out and do something different and be around other quilters.(I am a stay at home mom of 3 boys)
I hope that you find one that is good for you, and as friendly and enjoyable as the one I go to.