Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
went to first guild meeting, felt like an intruder - what would you do? >

went to first guild meeting, felt like an intruder - what would you do?

went to first guild meeting, felt like an intruder - what would you do?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:13 AM

You're right. We are a quilting bee. Looking back the Quilting Guild was not what I wanted, going to meetings once a month for a lecture or demonstration. I wanted a closeness and found it.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:56 AM

I know exactly how you felt. Don't give up. I kept going to the local guild and finally I felt like I was among friends. I think it just takes a while to feel comfortable. Hang in there---it will be worth it.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by MI Applique Queen
Thank you so much for the offer. But I don't like to drive at night, any more than I have to. Night blindness makes it a long drive for me. I work until 5:30 everyday so can't go to day quilds or bee's. I really need to find something close to home. I think I will talk to someone at the 2 fabric stores I go to. I hadn't thought of that. Also we have a senior community center near by. This year I will be old enough to join. I will talk to them also. Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful suggestions.
Sorry that you can't join us but I do understand why. I couldn't even think of joining when I was working. Not only the distance but also I would be so tired at the end of the day.

Even though the group is sponsored by the American Sewing Guild, most of the gals quilt. There are some that do clothing but there are so many talented gals that we see a little bit of everything.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
I felt the same way at my LQS monthly meeting. I went twice and to me, 2 times of being snubbed was 1 too many.
I find NO excuse for anybody to shun someone just because they are new. THEIR LOSS!!!
I could have written this post! Over a year ago I attended a LQG meeting at the invitation of the leader, via e-mail. I searched for a local guild that way, contacted the leader, etc. When I arrived another "newby" walked in the door with me. Nobody greeted us! When they circled up their chairs, guess what! My newby friend and I were left sitting behind the group, outside the circle! As the groups formed for the various activities, no one invited "us", so we strolled around the group observing, smiling, etc. Still no response, other than the person who invited me approached to ask if we had "paid our membership dues yet?". I stated, "Not yet", wondering if I was even interested in this group. She spun on her heels and moved on!! Needless to say, I gathered up my bag with my "show-and-tell" that nobody asked me to show, and made my way to the exit. At the door about a dozen of them all yelled, "Goodbye"! Guess they were glad to be rid of me! The other "Newby" was still there when I left after my telling her "Goodbye and Good Luck". My point in going into detail is that of about 50 people there, none of them made any attempt to draw us into the activities or even converse with us. It turned me off to ever going to a guild again!! Nor will I! I am blessed to have found this Board where even at long distance I feel a part of the group!