View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 09:09 AM
QBeth

It may not look like it but this is quilting related. My significant other loves old cars and, about three years ago, bought a 1962 T-bird. We've gone to several car shows together but mostly he's gone alone because I can look at cars just so long, know what I mean?

One day, I jokingly said that I wish I had my grandmother's hand crank Singer so I could sew while he looks around the Show. __ :!: __ Light bulb in the brain time! Went looking and found the exact model my grandmother used.

This past weekend, at a local car show, we put it to the test. Put up the umbrella (it was 90+ degrees!), table, chair, and sewing machine. I also posted a sign saying "Equal Hobby Opportunity!" with arrows to his car labelled "His Hobby" and an arrow to my Singer saying "My Hobby."

Turned out to be a lot of fun! I was tucked in behind the cars and, as people walked around, they'd spot me. Many had seen Treadle machines but no one (which I found interesting) had ever seen a hand crank machine! Plus, a lot of the women who stopped by sounded very envious that I managed to find a way to enjoy the show. _:-)_

We were there for three hours (there was a nice breeze or I wouldn't have lasted) and I actually managed to sew a lot of squares together. I knew someone would probably take my picture so I tried to maintain a lady like pose while sitting but... Oh, well. Here's me, sewing away fiendishly. The blue car on the left (a work in progress) is our '62 T-bird and the peach one on the right is someone else's (would you believe it's insured for $70,000!!! I made VERY sure the umbrella was far enough away not to hit it, if it fell over!).
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88650.jpe