Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Equal Hobby Opportunity! >

Equal Hobby Opportunity!

Equal Hobby Opportunity!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 AM

Cool idea! That looks like something I would do. Glad, though, that my husband isn't in the old car hobby. We live in DE and his church he pastors is in Ocean City, MD and they have several times a year the old car weekend. They just had one and Henry Winkler was there as a guest. Boy, the old cars sure are noisey. But I love your idea, you can still be a part of everything, but still enjoy your hobby. I had never seen a hand crank machine, since you are using both hands sewing, I assume you crank it up and sew, and then recrank it when it needs it. Cool! I've been wanting a featherweight machine but don't want to pay the big bucks people are trying to sell them for. Where did you find the crank one? That's a great idea for when we going camping where there is no electricity, I could still sew and the machine is compact. Have fun, and keep the sunscreen on, even with the umbrella.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by poultney
Cool idea! That looks like something I would do. Glad, though, that my husband isn't in the old car hobby. We live in DE and his church he pastors is in Ocean City, MD and they have several times a year the old car weekend. They just had one and Henry Winkler was there as a guest. Boy, the old cars sure are noisey. But I love your idea, you can still be a part of everything, but still enjoy your hobby. I had never seen a hand crank machine, since you are using both hands sewing, I assume you crank it up and sew, and then recrank it when it needs it. Cool! I've been wanting a featherweight machine but don't want to pay the big bucks people are trying to sell them for. Where did you find the crank one? That's a great idea for when we going camping where there is no electricity, I could still sew and the machine is compact. Have fun, and keep the sunscreen on, even with the umbrella.
Sunscreen?!! I should take out stock!

I mentioned to my favorite LQS owner that I was looking for one. I didn't want to buy one online because I didn't know how to check out the condition first. He just happened to know that another customer's grandmother had just died and was looking to seel her machine to someone who would appreciate it. Fate!

Everyone questions how someone can sew using only one hand. Actually, this machine (as I guess a lot of older ones do) sews very straight and needs little or no guiding. One hand is more than enough. The only "hard" part is trying to remember where all the oiling holes are! :-) It needs oil fairly often when compared to new machines. The so-called manual that came with mine is a couple of xerox'ed pages that contain general information for this group of machines, not for my particular one. I have to create a better manual with pictures that show the holes. Otherwise, I've really enjoyed it!!

Best of luck in finding one. I'm sure there are others out there.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:10 PM

Qbeth Thanks,for letting me know. I have never had heard of that kind of machine. Thank again.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by connecticut quilter
Qbeth Thanks,for letting me know. I have never had heard of that kind of machine. Thank again.
I keep forgetting to post a better picture of my machine but someone else posted a picture of theirs a few days back:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-26360-1.htm

Looks very similar to mine.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:44 AM

What a wonderful idea. You are so smart and creative. Love your picture. I always have a project with me too wherever I go. I cannot just sit. Love your car also. Have a great 4th. Me and DH are going to a car show here on the square and it will be crowded and he will want to spend hours looking at every inch so maybe I will take handwork and find some shade. ROFL Thanks for making me smile today.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
What a wonderful idea. You are so smart and creative. Love your picture. I always have a project with me too wherever I go. I cannot just sit. Love your car also. Have a great 4th. Me and DH are going to a car show here on the square and it will be crowded and he will want to spend hours looking at every inch so maybe I will take handwork and find some shade. ROFL Thanks for making me smile today.
You're welcome! Hopefully, you'll find that patch of shade to do some happy work. Have fun!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 AM

Love it.