View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 02:16 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

i just finished a large queen size quilt for my sister...well it isn't quite finished yet, but the top is done, outdoorsy cozy wonderful flannel SCRAPS. I had a tote full of flannels from past projects so when she said she wanted a quilt i decided to see if i could put one together with what i had, and sure enough it was enough, then i came to backing...decided (when i came upon a 3yd piece of flannel i had forgotten about) to piece a back too...so, made a backing. went ahead and loaded it up, thinking i would stop by the lqs on my way home and pick up a batt...but then noticed i had about 8 large (20-30" wide x 90+"long)pieces of batting...so, i'm going to zigzag these together and use them too...so, i will have a large queen quilt finished start to finish with no trips to the store :)
and it gave me inspiration...i'm going to try to put together another one with regular cottons, but i think i still have enough flannels to make another one too...maybe..hmmmmm. it is nice to put a dent in the stash...makes room for new :)
as soon as i get it off the frame i will post pics, i am very happy with it!
i have been trying to make all my quilts/table runners/swap blocks/bags ect this year out of just my stash and have done very well...some i have purchased backing or batting for and i've had to buy some thread, but for the most part i have done very well. one king size quilt i did spend about $75 on for backing and batting.