View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by raptureready
It's spray starch and isn't all that great. You can go ahead and use it. I'd use it on the underneath side because sometimes it will get flaky on you. Because it's the light formula it won't get the crispness that you may be wanting. Personally I like Mary Ellen's Best Spray starch
If your starch flakes on you, give it an extra minute to soak into the fabric after you spray it on and before you iron. The flakes are caused by the starch sitting on top of the fabric instead of soaking in. I had a teacher share this with me when she watched me starching in class and dealing with the flakes. I was surprised at what a difference it made.

Originally Posted by quiltaholic
Magic Sizing is actually better for your fabrics because it does not have the corn starch or flour in it that starch has. It's actually used by the manufacturing industry when fabric is made. This came from an article in one of the quilting magazines not long ago. I wish I could remember which one.
WHAT!?! :shock: I've got Celiac and I'm allergic to corn so I've been making my own starch, which is quite a pain in the butt. If you remember where the article on this was, please let me know. Now I need to go buy some Magic Sizing!