View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 03:06 PM
RugosaB

I think that's such a great photo!
I know this isn't a car list but your story reminded me of my dad, who died 12 years ago and was an avid old car hobbyist since his teen years. Tell this story to your significant other:
When I was very little Dad bought the love of his life, a bright pink and white '56 Crown Victoria. He and Mom kept having kids and at one point put in a car seat for my little brother, so Dad drilled some holes and screwed it in. Mom kept getting pregnant so when she was pregnant with #5 they sold the car and got a station wagon. I remember growing up (I'm now 52) often Dad would comment that he sure wish he had that car back. Life went on, Dad was still into old cars, restored some, joined a car club when I was an adult.
Then about 10 years before he died he decided he was ready to get a '56 Crown Victoria and restore it. He found one for sale locally and went to see it. He bought it, paying more than he sold it for in the 60's. Those holes and the bolts he had drilled for the car seat were still there! He restored that thing, even keeping re-chromed parts in his underwear drawer, joined a club only for Crown Victoria enthusiasts and even went on an antique car lovers cruise.
Your photo made me think of that and how I would be overjoyed to make a Crown Victoria quilt for him now if I could. Thank you