Old 06-25-2010, 05:30 AM
aorlflood

My first handquilting frame was a cheap oval hoop purchased at Joann's for a couple bucks. Like this...
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd34506

From there I moved onto the 14" Grace Floor Hoop and used that for a couple years. It is a great hoop for smaller quilts but was cumbersome to do a bed-size quilt on.

So from there I moved onto the Q-snap frame. Have used it for the last several years with great success. You don't have to move your quilt as often. However, you still have to baste your sandwich.

So in April my DH bought me a Hinterberg 3 roll frame for my birthday. With this frame, you don't have to pre-baste the quilt sandwich, you just adjust the tension using the sprocket wheels on the end. We have yet to put this frame together or put a quilt on it because first the room was being used for guests, then we took a vacation, and now I'm waiting till I can get the room painted next weekend! Plus, the first quilt I want to do on it is still being pieced! LOL

I've never use a large frame like the Hinterberg, so will have to let you know on that one. I'm not getting rid of my Q-snap until I find out whether or not I can successfully quilt on the Hinterberg. And I will keep my Grace Hoop for now to do baby/lap quilts on.

Here is a QS quilt in the Grace hoop
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87624[/ATTACH]

QS quilt in the Q-snap frame
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87625[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87619.jpe   attachment-87620.jpe