Old 06-25-2010, 03:40 PM
BKrenning

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
Originally Posted by BKrenning
Originally Posted by quilting.addict
I have made about 45 and I have my great grandmother's quilt (she hand pieced it in 1920, I hand quilted it in 2002), my very first quilt lap size, and a Trip around the World that I hand quilted and kept. My husband implied that I make them for everyone but him. When I pressed him last week about whether he REALLY wanted a quilt, he said NO!! I just think you should have one folded up at the foot of every bed in the house... Do you think he really wants one??
Jeannie in GA
Your story is very similar to mine. I had given every quilt I made away and hubby would often "jokingly" say I never made him one so I sashed a bunch of swap blocks to make a king size for our bed. Got it all quilted and he likes it but says it's not heavy enough. Regular cotton blocks & backing with a Hobbs 80/20 batting.

So we went to the quilt show in Paducah this past spring and I had him feel all the batts and none are really heavy enough according to him for another king size top I have.

When we got home, I dug through all the closets and my scrap pile and pulled out and cut up all the old blue jeans and his old work shirts and made him a large lap size Faux Cathedral Windows. He won't even let me wash it! It stays on his side of the bed and if it falls off or gets moved--he freaks out! So yes, hubby definitely wants a quilt all to himself. Any little snide comments about how much time & money you spend on quilting will probably stop, also!
That's funny that you ended up doing a denim one for him!! My daughter just gave me a pair of red denim jeans that her son outgrew. I got to thinking about mixing that with blue denim, but didn't know what style block to make. I don't know what a faux cathedral window is. I was considering one of those where you sew all on one side, seam sides out, then cut and fray them...maybe they are called rag quilts? Maybe I can figure out how to do that. Is yours backed with something and batted between?
The denim is the backing and was cut in circles. Here's the link where I got the idea: http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...gallbaros.html

I put scrap batting behind each patch of shirt. The denim is just top stitched down. It will fray a bit if hubby ever lets me wash it. My 5'7" daughter is holding it up in the picture.

Hubby's "Heavy Enough" quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87421[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87416.jpe