View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Quiltin'Lady

Our house has very few "open" walls, what with bookcases, doors, and big windows, etc. When I was having difficulty with a complicated quilt about 10 years ago, my husband made a design wall for me that hangs in our dining room.

The frame is PVC pipe, with elbows at the corners. I used extra-wide felt and sewed casings on two sides, and Velcro straps on the other two. Put two pipes together with an elbow, thread them through the casing sides, attach the other sides and elbows, and tighten the straps on the other two sides. Oh, I forgot -- he actually put "T" joints on two sides, which he later threaded strong nylon twine through to hang the finished "wall." It takes up the entire wall -- about 8" x 7" -- and I use every bit of it!!

It's fun to look at a work in progress while we're eating dinner. One or the other of us will frequently see where "this would look better there" and so on.

The only downside to it is that it's about 15 feet from where I sew, necessitating frequent trips to and fro. But I need the exercise, so it's likely a good thing overall...... :-)