Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Design Wall...Do You Have One?

What's it made of? Worth it? Do you use it a lot?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I don't know how I ever managed without mine - I just wish it were bigger! It's around 5' x 6' and it covers an entire wall of my (tiny!) sewing room, down to the radiator. I have to stand on a step ladder to reach the top. We just made a frame out of some 2" x 1" timber and staple gunned some extra wide flannel over it. It hangs on the wall on two square hooks so can be lifted down easily if I want to put it somewhere to stand back and look from a distance - my room is so narrow that I can only get about 3' away, if I sit on my desk with my head in the bookshelves!

What I will do differently (when we've finished converting the attic and I move into my new, much larger room!Hooray!) is put something behind the flannel like some fibre board so it doesn't flap about when I'm juggling layouts.

Mine is made from a 4'x6' foam core board from Home depot covered in a thin batting or you can use white felt. I hang it on the wall with the 3M hooks that stick to the wall, but can be removed without damage. It is great. Probably cost under $10.00 total. The nice thing is it will just hold your squares or you can pin them on it because it is about 1/2" thick.

Use mine all the time.

Mine is made out of felt. I hung it up over a wide 3' closet with curtain rods. The doors are in the attic as after we had a fire, they used cheap stuff. Inside the closet is my stash, NOT ORGANIZED YET!

At first the blocks didn't stick properly so I used a hairbrush to loosen the nap. It works perfectly, and covers up the inside of the closet.

I think I will use K3n's advise and put a piece of wood at the bottom as my cat likes to walk back and forth and peak through the bottom of the felt. (Thanks for the advise).

I like the idea of just taking off the curtain rod and folding away when not in use, which hasn't been the case yet.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Jan, if you hemmed the bottom and stuck a batten or another curtain rod through it, I guess the weight would make it hang straight, discourage nosy kitty (LOL) and you could still roll it up. I think I might make a second one like this once I move upstairs that I can put up (maybe on DH's office side of the room tee hee!) when I need the extra space, so thank YOU right back!

I depend on mine alot! I get finished blocks up on the wall as soon as I can, not only is it pretty, but you can see how far you've actually gotten. Mine is about 5x6, just some white felt I picked up at the second hand store, framed out with these great old wooden yard sticks from a fabric store that used to be in town somewhere; the phone number on the yard sticks is: telegraph1-6987, or something like that; haven't heard a number like that since I was a child! what a hoot!

One day I'd love to have a design wall. In the meantime, since I make a lot of minis, I stretched, wrapped, and stapled white flannel on a large oil painting canvas. It can be hung, but I like the portability of it.

I use the back of two vinyl table cloths and hang it on the wall using thumb tacks. My only available space is in the dinning room so when I am finish it is very easy to take down and it is really cheap.

I cannot complete a quilt without it. It is much better than the floor or on the bed because it can stay on the design wall until I have the top done - away from the doggy furries.

I dont have any suitable wall space except for our landing, as we have lots of sloping ceilings - so hubby put some cup hooks along the length at the top. I stapled warm and natural over a length of dowelling, dropped it into the hooks and now have the whole length, and height, of that wall. Fabrics hold on it, I only put pins in if something is heavy. It's great because every time I walk past I can move something around.

I have 2 4x8 foot thin wood panels (used to be backing from a bookcase) that I use as my design/pinning wall. I drape a blanket on it when using it as a design wall. I use office binding clips to hold blanket on it. Then when I need to sandwich a quilt, I use binding clips and tape to hold layers up on it to pin. since I have no wall space available, I store them behind the hutch when not using.

Mine is about 4x6 foam board with batting and a flannel sheet. LOVE IT. When I'm not using it I just put it behind a dresser. I also have one that's about 20"x20" that I use on an easel for block layouts. The foam board is very easy to stick pins in if something is heavy. It's about an 1" thick and I got it at a local building supply store. You can also make them out of those folding cardboard cutting mats, a couple of curtain rods, large clips and some flannel.

Don't have one yet.

I have a flannel back vinyl tablecloth thumbtacked to my wall! For a couple of bucks, it was so worth it! Much better than laying blocks on the floor and then having to pick them up and trying to remember how I had them!

DJ
    I'm going to make one! I want to start a OBW and don't know how I'd do it without a design wall.

I have Two! I LOVE having them and can't work without at least one big one! I made mine out of polystyrene insulation boards (the pink or blue type) and covered with wide felt.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    I'm going to make one! I want to start a OBW and don't know how I'd do it without a design wall.
    It was when I started with OBWs that we made mine - now I use it for everything! At the moment one of the IRR centres is jostling for position with the blocks for a scrappy I made the other day. And I feel like cutting another OBW so first I have to get those scrappy blocks joined and off of there! :lol:

I have two - one in my sewing room - covers the double doors that go outside (that I don't use, they stay locked 24/7) - I used a tension curtain rod - just slid a flannel top sheet onto it - ta-dah! My other one is for retreats - my best quilting buddy made it for me for my birthday - pvc piping for the frame - stretch a flannel fitted sheet around it - ta-dah! I love them all, including my buddy!!

I don't have one. I would really like one though. It does seem like that would help out alot. It would be nice to have somewhere to keep my stuff as I am working on it. Right now I have to drag everything out and put it back up so the kids don't get it. Moving everything around is a job itself.

I also have a flocked back vinyl tablecloth from the dollar store thumbtacked to a wall with the flocking facing out in my very small sewing room. Low cost, easy to take down, the quilt blocks stick just fine. I find a design wall essential and I've only ever sewn 3 quilts!

I have a 4x4 sheet of thin plywood, I covered it with a pad and then white anti pill fleece works like a champ.

I used 2 4x8 ft sheets of insulation material from Home Depot. A friend and I duct taped them together in a hinge fashion. The we sprayed the insulation with a 3M spray adhesive bought at an office supply store and covered it al with batting, though we could have used flannel. I then duct taped the edges so it would look 'pretty.'

It is folded and behind a large bookcase in my living room. The top is draped with a Mola and it looks like a design element of the room. Whenever I need it I pull it our and unfold it for use. I lay out my quilt and take pictures then carefully remove the blocks and number the rows appropriately.

This is ideal for a small place when you want a large quilt wall.

enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by imjustme
    I don't have one. I would really like one though. It does seem like that would help out alot. It would be nice to have somewhere to keep my stuff as I am working on it. Right now I have to drag everything out and put it back up so the kids don't get it. Moving everything around is a job itself.
    That happens and you aren't alone. In the winter time we don't heat the upstairs enough to work up there so I have to schlep all my stuff downstairs and listen to DH complain about the mess. Try hanging a flannel sheet or a flannel backed table cloth over one of your curtain rods while you're working. It would be easily put up and taken down. And if you pin things in place, take it down, store it until the next time and everything would still be where you want it. You'll be surprised how much faster quilting goes when you have a design wall. The time it takes to put the pieces on it is offset(and then some) by the ease of having them in place to sew.

Now that I have one, I am able to lay out designs I wouldn't have thought of before. It is so much easier this way. It is also nice to be able to take a row at a time off to sew together and keep the order straight.
    The top I just finished, the scrubs top...was designed on the wall.I doubt I would have done it otherwise. My design wall has become VERY important to me. I love it!!!

Ditter

I made myself a design wall and it is the best thing I ever did. I just thumb tacked fleece to the wall and then covered it with white flannel tacked over the top. It holds a double size top and I could expand a little if I wanted to. The thumb tacks don't make large holes and in my sewing room I didn't think it mattered that much. Some dobs of spackle and a fresh coat of paint and it will be like new again.

Blog Entries
    No I don't - wish I did, but NO ROOM. As a drafter, I usually sketch my projects on grid paper and then audition smaller sections on the table. That method works for me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast