Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design Wall...Do You Have One? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-wall-do-you-have-one-t40304.html)

Rebecca VLQ 03-22-2010 03:52 AM

What's it made of? Worth it? Do you use it a lot?

k3n 03-22-2010 03:58 AM

I don't know how I ever managed without mine - I just wish it were bigger! It's around 5' x 6' and it covers an entire wall of my (tiny!) sewing room, down to the radiator. I have to stand on a step ladder to reach the top. We just made a frame out of some 2" x 1" timber and staple gunned some extra wide flannel over it. It hangs on the wall on two square hooks so can be lifted down easily if I want to put it somewhere to stand back and look from a distance - my room is so narrow that I can only get about 3' away, if I sit on my desk with my head in the bookshelves!

What I will do differently (when we've finished converting the attic and I move into my new, much larger room!Hooray!) is put something behind the flannel like some fibre board so it doesn't flap about when I'm juggling layouts.

shaverg 03-22-2010 03:58 AM

Mine is made from a 4'x6' foam core board from Home depot covered in a thin batting or you can use white felt. I hang it on the wall with the 3M hooks that stick to the wall, but can be removed without damage. It is great. Probably cost under $10.00 total. The nice thing is it will just hold your squares or you can pin them on it because it is about 1/2" thick.

Use mine all the time.

no1jan 03-22-2010 04:06 AM

Mine is made out of felt. I hung it up over a wide 3' closet with curtain rods. The doors are in the attic as after we had a fire, they used cheap stuff. Inside the closet is my stash, NOT ORGANIZED YET!

At first the blocks didn't stick properly so I used a hairbrush to loosen the nap. It works perfectly, and covers up the inside of the closet.

I think I will use K3n's advise and put a piece of wood at the bottom as my cat likes to walk back and forth and peak through the bottom of the felt. (Thanks for the advise).

I like the idea of just taking off the curtain rod and folding away when not in use, which hasn't been the case yet.

k3n 03-22-2010 04:18 AM

Jan, if you hemmed the bottom and stuck a batten or another curtain rod through it, I guess the weight would make it hang straight, discourage nosy kitty (LOL) and you could still roll it up. I think I might make a second one like this once I move upstairs that I can put up (maybe on DH's office side of the room tee hee!) when I need the extra space, so thank YOU right back!

vjengels 03-22-2010 05:00 AM

I depend on mine alot! I get finished blocks up on the wall as soon as I can, not only is it pretty, but you can see how far you've actually gotten. Mine is about 5x6, just some white felt I picked up at the second hand store, framed out with these great old wooden yard sticks from a fabric store that used to be in town somewhere; the phone number on the yard sticks is: telegraph1-6987, or something like that; haven't heard a number like that since I was a child! what a hoot!

Chele 03-22-2010 05:11 AM

One day I'd love to have a design wall. In the meantime, since I make a lot of minis, I stretched, wrapped, and stapled white flannel on a large oil painting canvas. It can be hung, but I like the portability of it.

SuzyM 03-22-2010 05:13 AM

I use the back of two vinyl table cloths and hang it on the wall using thumb tacks. My only available space is in the dinning room so when I am finish it is very easy to take down and it is really cheap.

I cannot complete a quilt without it. It is much better than the floor or on the bed because it can stay on the design wall until I have the top done - away from the doggy furries.

Katrine 03-22-2010 05:31 AM

I dont have any suitable wall space except for our landing, as we have lots of sloping ceilings - so hubby put some cup hooks along the length at the top. I stapled warm and natural over a length of dowelling, dropped it into the hooks and now have the whole length, and height, of that wall. Fabrics hold on it, I only put pins in if something is heavy. It's great because every time I walk past I can move something around.

redrummy 03-22-2010 06:37 AM

I have 2 4x8 foot thin wood panels (used to be backing from a bookcase) that I use as my design/pinning wall. I drape a blanket on it when using it as a design wall. I use office binding clips to hold blanket on it. Then when I need to sandwich a quilt, I use binding clips and tape to hold layers up on it to pin. since I have no wall space available, I store them behind the hutch when not using.