Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design Wall...Do You Have One? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-wall-do-you-have-one-t40304.html)

raptureready 03-22-2010 06:38 AM

Mine is about 4x6 foam board with batting and a flannel sheet. LOVE IT. When I'm not using it I just put it behind a dresser. I also have one that's about 20"x20" that I use on an easel for block layouts. The foam board is very easy to stick pins in if something is heavy. It's about an 1" thick and I got it at a local building supply store. You can also make them out of those folding cardboard cutting mats, a couple of curtain rods, large clips and some flannel.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-22-2010 06:43 AM

Don't have one yet.

MNQuilter 03-22-2010 06:47 AM

I have a flannel back vinyl tablecloth thumbtacked to my wall! For a couple of bucks, it was so worth it! Much better than laying blocks on the floor and then having to pick them up and trying to remember how I had them!

DJ 03-22-2010 06:56 AM

I'm going to make one! I want to start a OBW and don't know how I'd do it without a design wall.

AtHomeSewing 03-22-2010 07:05 AM

I have Two! I LOVE having them and can't work without at least one big one! I made mine out of polystyrene insulation boards (the pink or blue type) and covered with wide felt.

k3n 03-22-2010 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by DJ
I'm going to make one! I want to start a OBW and don't know how I'd do it without a design wall.

It was when I started with OBWs that we made mine - now I use it for everything! At the moment one of the IRR centres is jostling for position with the blocks for a scrappy I made the other day. And I feel like cutting another OBW so first I have to get those scrappy blocks joined and off of there! :lol:

LUV2QLT 03-22-2010 07:16 AM

I have two - one in my sewing room - covers the double doors that go outside (that I don't use, they stay locked 24/7) - I used a tension curtain rod - just slid a flannel top sheet onto it - ta-dah! My other one is for retreats - my best quilting buddy made it for me for my birthday - pvc piping for the frame - stretch a flannel fitted sheet around it - ta-dah! I love them all, including my buddy!!

imjustme 03-22-2010 07:24 AM

I don't have one. I would really like one though. It does seem like that would help out alot. It would be nice to have somewhere to keep my stuff as I am working on it. Right now I have to drag everything out and put it back up so the kids don't get it. Moving everything around is a job itself.

heather_campbell 03-22-2010 07:24 AM

I also have a flocked back vinyl tablecloth from the dollar store thumbtacked to a wall with the flocking facing out in my very small sewing room. Low cost, easy to take down, the quilt blocks stick just fine. I find a design wall essential and I've only ever sewn 3 quilts!

Chasing Hawk 03-22-2010 07:50 AM

I have a 4x4 sheet of thin plywood, I covered it with a pad and then white anti pill fleece works like a champ.