Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Design Wall...Do You Have One?

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I, too use graph paper to kinda sketch out what I want to have happen, but even then I lay things out on the carpet. Which is fine for us, I guess...but for quilts for giving? I'm kinda forcing the recipients to be ok with it,lol!

I need to win the lotto so I can get all the goodies I want.

I wish I had one. But my answer is no.

I have a drop ceiling in my bacement..I boutht plastic tablecloths with felt backing. I closepin them to the metal strips that hold the ceiling up. Works perfect and was very inexpensive.

I would love to have one...I am sure DH would love me to have one also b/c I use the pool table!

Kyia

I am in an ongoing process of redoing my sewing room. I have 4 large windows (2 on each outside wall). I know I may want to put curtains on them eventually, they have blinds now. So I put up two curtain rod holders, the U-shaped kind, sort of, one in the middle and one to one side of 2 of the windows. I bought some queen size batting, turned each end and sewed a "channel" ** at the top and bottom, put a large dowel stick in each, and I have a ready made design wall almost to the floor..in my windows. The curtain rod holders can hold both dowel sticks so I can store the wall when not in use, or if I want to open all the windows.

When I decide where I want my wall sort of permanently, I can then take down this batting, use it in a quilt, and make my new wall as I see fit.

(**sorry, that is not the word I am looking for, but it escapes me for now)

When I go to Wal Mart, I look in the bin where they stick discount fabric. I found a large piece of white flannel! What a find!
    I had been to the dollar tree here, and bought a few pkgs of large (pretty) binder clips (like the black ones, but with pretty designs) and I bought some of those hooks that you put on the wall, but can remove easily without damaging the wall (3M). I put 3 of those hooks up there, hung the binder clip handles on the hooks, and clipped the fabric to the clips. Its wonderful. My ceilings are slanted in the sewing room, so I can't have too large a piece. Its perfect for me (a beginner).

I'm on my laptop and my pics are on my desktop but I can post tomorrow when I get back on my desktop. :-) It was simple, easy, and inexpensive! (doesn't get much better than that!)

DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Mine is made from a 4'x6' foam core board from Home depot covered in a thin batting or you can use white felt. I hang it on the wall with the 3M hooks that stick to the wall, but can be removed without damage. It is great. Probably cost under $10.00 total. The nice thing is it will just hold your squares or you can pin them on it because it is about 1/2" thick.

Use mine all the time.
    When I call Home Depot they tell me they have something that's "foil coated". Is that what yours is? The craft stores don't seem to have foam core board that large. Still searching . . . any ideas? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1quilt_gma
    I am in an ongoing process of redoing my sewing room. I have 4 large windows (2 on each outside wall). I know I may want to put curtains on them eventually, they have blinds now. So I put up two curtain rod holders, the U-shaped kind, sort of, one in the middle and one to one side of 2 of the windows. I bought some queen size batting, turned each end and sewed a "channel" ** at the top and bottom, put a large dowel stick in each, and I have a ready made design wall almost to the floor..in my windows. The curtain rod holders can hold both dowel sticks so I can store the wall when not in use, or if I want to open all the windows.

** casing, maybe?
    When I decide where I want my wall sort of permanently, I can then take down this batting, use it in a quilt, and make my new wall as I see fit.

(**sorry, that is not the word I am looking for, but it escapes me for now)

Not yet. I have to figure out where to put it, I don't have any room!

Casing! that's the word!

Gal
    I do not have a design board, I just used the floor and stood on a chair to get a better perspective lol, actually it may sound silly but as I was making a bed quilt I used a combimation of floor and bed, that way I could see how it was going to look as it came together laying the quilt down on a bed since that was what it was designed for. I also used the method which artists use of squinting at the arrangment to help with tonal value, it really is worth doing that to achieve contrasts etc.

Gal

i dont have one but after reading all the replies and watching a video yesterday i want one !! the lady in the video had her hung on the wall and she used it to layer her quilt for quilting !! i love that idea instead of laying it out on the floor and crawling on my hands and knees , does anyone else use theres for layering the quilt with the batting and backing ?

I haven't.... yet.

I have two tops ready for layering. Could you tell us where you saw the video? I can't picture all three layers staying on the wall...maybe it was a smaller quilt?

I found the Fons and Porter quilting board at Joanns on line for 1/2 off at Christmas. It is a fancy flannel table cloth with grommets to hang it on the wall and it has grid lines on the back. I really like it. Probably would not spend full price, but a good value on sale. I do find that individual blocks stick really well ( for days at a time!) but once you sew them into strips, you need to pin the strip in place because the weight of the strip is too heavy for the board. I think the measurements are 60x72.Good luck!

Mine is made from an old cutting mat. It is coverd with thick batting and then with fleece. Everything sticks to it.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I love my design wall. So much so that I made another one. I bought a piece of insulation at Home Depot - it comes in 4x8 ft sheets and is extremely light weight and cheap. I covered it with flannel using spray glue. It's so light that I can move it around in my sewing room - which is a small bedroom. I made the second one so I would have enough design space for larger quilts.

I also made mine from a light weight insulation board from Lowe's. It's light weight and the size of a sheet of paneling, I turned it side ways, instead of up and down like you would for wall paneling. I wrapped a large sheet of batting and hot glued the edges. Then I hot glued coke tabs to the back and hung it side ways on my sewing room wall. I always have a quilt "in progress on my design board. I love mine and it's cheaper and better than the ready made ones!

I also did the foam board. Lost part of mine on the way home from H.D. though wind caught the front and broke it off. Still ok. I can't bend that far down anyway. Mine is just covered with some thick flannel and nailed into the wall. Its not moving. I would like to have something wider sometimes though. I have the shelves I built for my fabric and I was thinking about getting the roll down shades to cover the front. I would use the roller to remake them with flannel so they could just be rolled back up. I am going to have to try it once I am back on my feet and see how it works.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vjengels
    I depend on mine alot! I get finished blocks up on the wall as soon as I can, not only is it pretty, but you can see how far you've actually gotten. Mine is about 5x6, just some white felt I picked up at the second hand store, framed out with these great old wooden yard sticks from a fabric store that used to be in town somewhere; the phone number on the yard sticks is: telegraph1-6987, or something like that; haven't heard a number like that since I was a child! what a hoot!
    I love the yard sticks.. neat idea

I would not be without my design wall. Mine is 8' by 16'. I used the shiny insulated backing board (very light weight and about 3/4" thick) you can get at Home Depot for about $10 apiece. Used two pieces...covered them with batting and secured batting on back with duct tape. Placed two covered boards side by side on one wall in sewing room and secured with deck screws. Fabric sticks to batting and you can also push pins in since it is foam. My design wall is large enough for me to actually layer my quilts...my backing, batting, quilt top and spraying each layer with adhesive. No more crawling on floor to prepare quilt and no more pinning!

Blog Entries
    I just bought a flannel backed table cloth for now, material sticks to it really well. Spent $5.00 at wal-mart.

Blog Entries
    I recently made a design board from foam insulating board bought at Home Depot, 4' x 8'. I had them score it length wise, but not all the way through. I did need to cut down a little because my ceilings are not 8' high. At home I covered it with flannel using making tape on the back to secure. When folded, it fits behind my door out of the way. Couldn't flip the picture, but you get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    When I call Home Depot they tell me they have something that's "foil coated". Is that what yours is? The craft stores don't seem to have foam core board that large. Still searching . . . any ideas? Thanks.
    It is called "polystyrene sheathing" and does Not have foil on one side. Go to "Google IMAGES" and type that term in to see lots of pictures of it. It comes in pink sheets or blue sheets, depending on the manufacturer. Likely people in the Big Box Store will call it, "Rigid Insulation". One brand is "Foamular". This is a common building material which should be readily available at Home Depot, Lowes, or any Lumber Yard. If you get it at a lumber yard, where they go out to their yard to get the product, tell them that this is for a craft project and you need a CLEAN board(s).

They come in various thicknesses. I made one design wall with the one inch thick and one that is two inches thick. If I were starting over, I would do them both in two in thick, as occasionally I will pin into it and I've felt my pins go all the way through the one inch to the wall.

Here's a link with specifics on how I made mine, if that's helpful:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/athomesewing/2726109619/

Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts
    I was thinking about getting the roll down shades to cover the front. I would use the roller to remake them with flannel so they could just be rolled back up. I am going to have to try it once I am back on my feet and see how it works.
    Dama this is what I was thinking about doing. I saw this somewhere, but now can't find it. I have a closet that my hubby will be using for his "hunting stash" and I would like to hang it in front of that. It seems like it would be easy to roll it up out of the way when he needs to get in there. The inspiration picture I saw used a large ROLL patio shade made from plastic. I think they actually attached the batting to it by sewing it on the sides by hand. Has anybody seen this or used it? and does it work or not? TIA for any hints! Pegg

I have a block butler: http://www.blockbutler.com/cart/ and I absolutely love it. I use a spray bottle to moisten it with water when I stick something to it and it works like a champ.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast