View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplemem
Originally Posted by nativetexan
I watched Quilt in a Day this morning and she showed how to 'turn' a quilt and tie it and then she machine stitched along the border.
then she showed how to machine her own quilt. this one was quilt as you go but she only quilted blocks on batting, the backing wasn't added until she was to put the border on.
I've always thought if i did a quilt in sections, i'd have to add backing fabric in sections too. Hmmmmm.
I'm intrigued, that would be a lot faster...so she quilted the blocks and batting on the machine, sewed the fronts together, then added a back and quilted the borders and back together?? What keeps the back from being puffy? Did she tack anything?
I'm doing the same thing with my Dear Jane quilt. I did QAYG on all my blocks and triangles, joined them all together, and now I have basted the backing to the top/batting. I am currently quilting in the ditch round every block and triangle to attach the backing to the top. Since the blocks are only 4.5in finished, there isn't any puffiness, but I can see that there might be if you had 12in blocks.

We actually had several months of Eleanor's programmes on Satellite here, on the Rural TV channel, but it disappeared a few weeks ago, so that is the end of that. I did record the programmes that were broadcast, but there aren't going to be any more, Booo Hooo.