View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 05:01 AM
auntiehenno

Good chilly morning from Colorado!
At least this cool will keep my large apt. cool toady. Was pretty hot this weekend.
As for this quilting business - my Grandmother White, dad's mom, was a quilter well before I was born. She was born in 1869 and I was born in 1942 - ya I"m gonna be 68 soon - but don't tell anyone. :)

My mother was a seamstress before I came along, but never quilter.Wonderfull knitter as well. I can knit, but takes me forever. Do better at crocheting. :) She was a genious seamstress for herself, and made my clothes---always stylish. Knitted the most beautiful sweaters for brother as well as myself..When she was in a high school,during Depression - took a suit her father could not wear anymore and made a suit for herself.

Did not inherit my mother's gift for patientce or genious, or talent but, I did learn to sew. As, a child and teen growing up, I was always sewing something, not just clothing but craft things and selling them.

Never realized Grandmother quilted until 10 years or so a her death in the 60's. I tried to make a patch quilt and they never lined up, and just get the scraps in my late father's "Grip' as he called it - briefcase. Didn't learn the tricks of the trade until later.

In the late 80's the high school where I taught, put on the play - ? QUILTER - believe that was the name of it and also a movie by same name came out later. This inspired me to once again try my hand at this lovely art. And it is indeed an art, whether you are a genious or not. Indeed, somedays it take patience, but We like it and we forge on.

Since CFIDS hit me a number of years ago, don't quilt as much, but still buy fabric and my daughter thinks I am silly to do it. She frowns upon it. :(Keeps my creative juices flowing and my mind from becoming stagnet.

Still take a class once in awhile. They are always fun. 8-) 8-)