Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you decide to start quilting? >

What made you decide to start quilting?

What made you decide to start quilting?

Old 07-06-2010, 05:42 AM

I learned to embroider from my Grandma Ruth when I was 6 and then at 9 or 10 Mom and Grandma started teaching me to use the sewing machine; by the time I was 12 I was making some of my clothes. Both Mom and Grandma Ruth made most of my clothes. When I got married I had to sew so we could have something to wear. It wasn't until I was 30 that I started making quilts. Georgia,Eleanor and Kaye(PBS Shows) were my teachers and I was mostly self taught until we moved to South Carolina and joined a small quilt guild and started taking classes. The other quilters showed me how to do hand quilting and much easier than I had been doing it.
I've been quilting since 1988 and haven't stopped yet. Most of my quilts are for in-need children through "The Linus Connection" ; local group in central Texas. I make my quilts all by machine, the quilts are mostly in bright colors that I love to work in.
Sharon W.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562396634NVWSUO
Old 07-06-2010, 06:23 PM

I have always admired handwork of any kind. I think and dream in living color patterns and often wake out of a sound sleep to sneak off to my sewing room and at least get these ideas down on paper . I come from a long line of quilters, tho I did not know it til 3 or 4 years ago. I quilt, sew, crochet and craft to keep me from being violent. Quilting is my therapy and my passion.If I ever have to be put on life support I pray it will be another Janome!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:55 AM

As a child, I used to sit in a cane bottom chair around a quilt frame that hung from the ceiling at my grandmother's home. After the men left for the fields, we would let the quilt down and all the women would gather around and quilt. Several years went by and I took a quilting class at a local college and more years went by while I tried my hand at tole painting and cross stitch. After the movie "Step Mom" came out and she made the memory quilt for her daughter, I decided I could do that and I made my son a quilt for graduation. I have made 3 memory quilts so far, but now I am trying my hand at more piece work. I am also reading the Elm Creek Quilts series and on it goes!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

My husband thought my soap making was just too expensive. So he actually dragged me over to a quilt store and signed me up for a class. Little did he know he opened up pandoras box. Hehehehehe Well he is a good man bought me many nice sewing machines including Janome 6500 and a Feather Weight and built me the biggest nicest studio. I told him my car could stand outside and he has the double car garage as his wood working shop. Him down stairs in his shop on the table saw and me up stairs in my studio quilting. Both of us are driven artists and need to in order to stay sane.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:24 AM

My DGM made clothes, etc when I was a child, but no one in my family ever quilted - When I turned 50 was when I wanted to learn how to quilt - I have always crotched and did cross stitch - so on my 50th bday dh bought me a sewinging machine and I have been quilting since (4 years now) - I machine piece and hand quilt and love it.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:05 PM

Guys: That last sentence should have read :If I ever have to be put on a life support machine I hope it is a Janome!!!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 PM

I waited years to take the quilting class I'd ALWAYS wanted to take. I wanted to wait until I could go to class, every class without missing one. While my children were in school, they were incredibly busy with sports and I know I'd have missed at least 1/3rd of the quilting classes....so I patiently waited until this Feb. I was so excited about my 1st night of class....I was like a kid on xmas eve! :) My husband still laughingly tells people about seeing me off to my car my 1st night of class. He says I was skipping and grinning from ear to ear. I think he's right! I've been in love with my quilting hobby ever since and dream about the next quilt I want to do every night!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:06 PM

In 1999 my sister and I visited the Amish area near Lancaster PA. I fell in love and was hooked immediately. I was raising two daughters at the time and couldn't afford the larger bed size quilts. I was able to purchase a beautiful wall-hanging and ended up decorating my living room around the wall hanging. Needless to say, as soon as I got home, I taught myself to quilt, not an easy task, almost gave up numerous times, but stuck with it. Still in love with quilting. Kathy
Old 07-13-2010, 06:37 PM

My grandmothers and my mom quilted. I liked the quilts, but never thought much about it until my 1st grandchild was born 30 yrs. ago. my friend made her a cute quilt. I deceided I wanted to make one. Well it only took me 7 years to finish it.mY MOM WAS QUILTING A DRESDEN PLATE when she passed away20 yrs. ago.it is hand quilted. i have been going to finish it all these years.Still in the closet.Well I retired 2 years ago and became involved in everything i could.I love to sew and had been going to the state extension office for a sewing circle. The first of the year we pieced a quilt, mine is a lap quilt. That is as far as i've gotten. So glad my friend carol who quilts sent me this web site. Iam learning a lot.Everyone is great.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:15 PM

I am 54 years old. I used to make Barbie doll clothes as a child with my grandmother. My mother made all of my clothes (we were poor and she knew how to sew very well). She taught me how to embroider, sew, crotchet with wool and thread on handerchiefs, etc. I used to make most of my own clothes then discovered the "love of quilting" seriously about 10 years ago. Now I just can't get enough. I have enough fabric to open a store, and yet I feel I need more. Do I have a sickness? No, just a passion for quilting. Am I good at it? I'm OK. Some good...some so so, some BAD. I keep looking for new and different challenges and techniques. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless you all and remember, everyone wants a Quilt. Sophie (Zaza)