Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you decide to start quilting? >

What made you decide to start quilting?

What made you decide to start quilting?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 AM

A friend was looking for something new to do. My mom knows someone who gives quilting lessons.

My friend and I were talking one day, I mentioned quilting lessons, ta-da - here we are almost a year later :)
Old 07-05-2010, 11:38 AM

I can't remember how young I was when I started sewing doll clothes by hand! When I was ten I convinced my parents to let me join 4H so I could be in the Sewing project and sew with a machine. I made a simple blouse earned a red ribbon for the construction and another red for the "dress review". I have been sewing ever since. I think it was when I was a junior in High School that my 4H club's sewing project kids decided to make a quilt and raffle it off. We each made a block, or two, in what we called a cross design, which was a 9 patch of 6&1/2" corner squares, a 4&1/2" center square and 4&1/2" rectangles between the corners. After I graduated High School, my Mom thought I should make a quilt to take away to school with me, so I made an entire "4H Cross" quilt and backed it with quilted flannel & tied it off. I still have it and use it as a utility/picnic quilt. I didn't make another quilt for about ten years, then I started a "Rose of Sharon" hand appliqued quilt. It took me another ten years to finish it. Mom helped me finish it & she liked it so much I gave it to her for a gift. She still has it on her bed, even though the edges are getting rather worn. I guess I'll have to put some new binding on it for her when I go visit sometime. After that I took a couple quilting classes, one of which I have actually finished, the other is on my list of UFO's to finish. My latest quilting projects are small items, much closer together, and getting finished on time. So I guess it has taken some time to convince me, but I'm hooked, at least on the smaller projects! :D
Old 07-05-2010, 12:32 PM

I've always enjoyed trying to master something new (not that I'm a master at anything yet). I learned to crochet and embroider as a small child and then kind of stopped everything when I got old enough to be interested in boys. OMG, if there were only do overs, hahaha. Anyway, when my daughter was born my husband surprised me with a used Monkey Ward sewing machine, straight stitch only but that lit the fire. I started making clothes for my daughter, Ginger, and never stopped. So, I started making garments and still make all my husbands shirts and some things for my great grandkids. Mostly, I make quilt tops and now I have a friend who has taken up piecing also and do we ever terrorize the fabric stores (and you do have to watch them cut and check you out) I also love to make preemie quilts and donate them to the NICU for all those little babies.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 PM

My grandma tought me how to sew and other needle crafts. When I moved to this country (I am from Uruguay- South America) I was looking to take a class at the high school around the corner. A Quilt class was offered for just $40 - 9 week class twice a week. It read "basic sewing skills needed". My English was poor, I didn't have a clue what Quilt was but I decided to take the class. Next week bought a Brother for $120. I was hooked. This was 10 years ago, I Love quilting, I wish I could do it more!
Old 07-05-2010, 01:19 PM

I took Home Ec in high school and love to sew.Then I went to work,got married an had my kids(Little time then to sew)After 32 years of working I became ill and had to quit working.Did not know what to do with my time so I stated making my granddaughter dresses until my daughter said the DGD just didnt need any more.Then on day in 2003 I went into Handcocks and they were having a block of the mo. starting and the rest is history.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

I took my first class with Mary Ellen Hopkins out in Calif in the middle 70's in her first quilt shop. Need I say more?
Old 07-05-2010, 03:47 PM

My grandmothers made such wonderful quilts. I cross stitched for years but raising a family of 6 it was impossible. Now that all are grown I have taken up quilting and love it truly. I have made quillows for all the grandchildren and just finished a wall hanging. Hope to be able to do this for years.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:29 PM

On a walk one day I stopped into a quilt shop and saw a sports kids machine embroidered quilt and decided that I needed to make THAT quilt. The owner of the shop took pictures of her quilt, as there was no pattern-My husband bought me a Bernina embroidery machine and I set out to learn to use it and make my first quilt for my granddaughter. And 5 years later I am an obsessed quilter.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:30 PM

I loved to sew when in school. We always had quilts on our beds and because my room was so cold in the winter I had piles of quilts that left me feeling like I had wrestled all night long.

I always dreamed of quilting but was hesitant to dive in. After buying quilt books, tools and looking at hundreds of patterns I had to teach an unrelated course. One of the assignments was for the adult students to write out three personal golas - somwthing that they always wanted to do , but never did. I thought, although I am the teacher, I need to do this also. Quilting was one of my goasl and we were about to have a grandbaby. This was the first quilt that took me three days and turned out beautifully. What a creative adventure! I amazed myself and have been quiklting ever since ( 5 years).

Ellis' Granny B
Old 07-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Banned

Me and hubby always loved looking at quilt, and I have wanted to learn for years to make them. God bless. Penny