View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 PM
doglover

I believe I am threading the machine with the presser foot raised because I would not be able to pull the thread if the presser foot was down, right?

2. The thread is breaking BETWEEN the needle and the tension disc. Flat side of the needle is facing the largest part of the sewing machine while it is on the frame, away from me. The eye of the needle is facing me, I am to the side of the machine in front of the frame. I have taken a mirror and put it under the needle holder and saw where the flat side was to make sure. I am putting the needle in correctly and still am not sure always.

3. The thread has never broken here, thank goodness.

Thank you for your help. I will watch while I am threading to make sure the pressure foot is down.
doglover

Originally Posted by mytwopals
The Pfaff Grand Quilter and the Viking Mega Quilter are the same machine. Both are made by Janome. Some very basic and simple questions:

1. Are you threading the machine with the presser foot in the raised position? This is vital to get the thread between the tension discs.

2. Can you tell, where the thread is breaking at? Is it breaking at the needle? If it is breaking at the needle, you may not have the correct needle (HL x 5). Or the needle may be installed incorrectly. The indentation on the needle near the eye should be facing to the right. The eye should not be facing you as you sit in front of the machine. It should be facing side to side. You also thread the needle from left to right.

2.b. Or is it breaking at the pretension bar (the one with 3 holes in it.)? If it is breaking at the pretension bar, try threading it through only one of the holes.

I hope this helps.