View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 02:59 AM
doglover

I to clean under the needle plate after every quilt and yes I am surprised how fast dust bunnies sneak in there. Also if I set my tension to 4, I would not be able to pull the thread through even with the pressure foot up. I have to set my tension to 2 and then the knob almost falls off but I think I have it working for the timebeing. Also, I got the Inspira needles and waiting for the Schemetz HLX5 needles to come in. I also ordered some thread from Connecting Threads and can't wait for that to come in.
I have to keep adjusting the take up bar to keep the quilt the right height from the plate of the machine and find this to be a pain in the b*** as I get to the end of a quilt as this frame is in a small room but that is the way it is.
Thanks for all the suggestions and they have helped.
doglover.
betty

Originally Posted by annette1952
Another thing that could be causing the thread to break is dust bunnies under the needle plate. I am shocked how quickly it builds up. I use the Schemetz HLX5 or the Inspira needles usually # 12 or 14 tension around 4 & I use thread from Connecting Threads. I used to have alot of trouble with the thread breaking but after trying different things I have no more problems.
One other thing is the height of your take-up bar. It should be high enough off the machine bed to be able to slip a couple fingers comfortablby under the bar or your quilt on the bar.