View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 05:45 AM
quiltilicious

Originally Posted by Patched
After reading your story I just had to share. My neice got married in January. A lady, friend of the family forever, gave my niece and her husband a scrap quilt at their wedding shower. About a month ago my niece was saying she needed something in her living room with drawers in it so she could store the quilt so it would by handy in the winter to use when sitting and watching tv. We told her to display it on her sofa or back of a chair. She told us no way it was to ugly. I was so upset, but managed to keep my mouth shut. Didn't want to start a family fuss.
When I got married the first time, one of my mother's friends gave us a crocheted throw blanket - it used (what I thought at the time) every color that ever existed in yarn form (some actually hurt my eyes). It didn't go with anything I had in my house and was in the top 5 ugliest gifts we received. Well, the marriage dissolved almost 30 years ago, and I still have that throw. It's kept me warm in my car when my heater stopped working, been part of my camping bedding, and a general "utility blanket" since I got it in 1978! I think it's currently in the pile of throws we keep in the living room for the winter, or in my daughter's room. I've used it hard, and washed it a million times, and the colors (even the ugly ones) haven't faded a bit, and it's still in the same shape it was in when I got it. And I hope my mother's friend intended me to use the heck out of it, because I have.