View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 PM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by Covered in Threads
Pricing can be challenging. I have for a number of years done homeshows and craftshows. For the most part the quilts I sale at shows are of a simple design but great colors and I always follow the "materials x 3" rule. This way I get to do what I want and in the patterns I'm interested in trying out. Now for special orders I include my time ($10 per hour). On special orders I let the customer do the initial lead ideas and go from there. One of my favorite customers, who has now returned a number of times, brought me her son's t-shirt collection from age 2 up to 17+ to be made into a graduation quilt. My initial quote was for $400 for a full size block design in which I simply did stitch in the ditch. She was thrilled and wrote the check out for $700.
Location, clientelle, customer's ideas, your time and workmanship all play a factor in final prizing. At first you really need to develop a client base, that know and see your "good workmanship" and recognize reasonable prices for the work you put into one quilt. Once they know and become educated in quality your prices seem minor in what they want and get from you. I've been doing craftshows for a long time and actually have customers travel to a few of my shows from other states in order to get their gifts for family members from me. Though making a living from my love of sewing will never be why I do it, I've also found that I've been able to save enough from the various shows to help pay for many of our Christmas and summer vacation traveling expenses.
Whatever you chose to do, make it fun and positive. Be open to new ideas so you too are growing in any new adventure.
wow! amazing post/response in this thread. great information and ...the last 'be open....' is absolutely wonderful!! :thumbup: