Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Pat G

Originally Posted by scrappycats
I understand that I am not the only person that needs to practice Free Motion quilting (is that what it is called?)before being good enough to do a quilt, but just what do you do with all your practice pieces?

I just threw away a few muslin sandwiches (about 15 inches square) that I quilted the tar out of over and over again trying to get the technique down. But, sure hate throwing fabric and batting away. I did do a piece yesterday that I added a zipper to and made into a notions bag to carry to the LQS.

But, I need more, much more practice and I was wondering what ya'll learned/practiced on.

I spent part of last Sunday practicing FMQ too. Now I wish I had made my practice pcs. larger to make them into something. I finally gave upon the scraps & got out a tablerunner I made a few yrs. back but used a higher loft batting so I didn't really like it. I FMQ the heck out of it & I got so excited & did the whole runner. I was so happy with the freedom I felt once I saw the outcome. Now I won't be so afraid of it anymore.

Prob. I had though was if I wanted to go faster, instead of remembering to move the fabric myself, I'd speed up the machine. I am so proud of myself.