Thread: got a dog?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 AM
pookie ookie

Any dog will behave when well trained. I've found the so-called "yappers" to be easily trainable because they're usually devoted to one person in the family. Get that one person on board and the dog follows right along. Either that or the dog was yapping due to boredom and training eliminates boredom.

Take an airline approved carrier to the pound since size seems to be the most important criteria for you. Don't pick a dog that makes you say, "Awww, poor baby!" Don't pick the dog that jumps six feet into the air repeatedly. Even then, you will probably be surprised by a "personality change" after a couple weeks. Once the dog has settled, you'll see it's true character.

All the medical info I've received from the pound has always been wrong. Both good and bad. Take the dog to your vet within the first week. Here, if you take the dog within the first ten days of ownership, the appointment is free (I don't even want to think about who pays for that program).

In the past, I've been given dogs from "reputable breeders" as gifts. Thousands of surgical dollars later, I'll stick with pound puppies.

No dogs are hypoallergenic. Poodles and their spinoffs do not have the double coat which leaves them with something some people like to call "hair." It supposedly keeps the dander at a manageable level. While Poodles don't shed, you may find clumps of adorable curly hair here and there. Allergic folks should also avoid dog saliva and urine as they contain the allergen also. Some terriers are on the allergen okay list as well due to their grooming requirements (pulling of the coat rather than shedding). None of the preceding should matter if the dog sleeps on your pillow. Achoo!

Basically, I think you should get a dog of the right size, in good health and with a suitable temperament. The breed is irrelevant. Be sure to post pix of the cutie.