got a dog?

Old 07-08-2010, 03:17 PM

I'm considering getting a small dog - live in a condo so looking for a lovable creature that is suitable for that environment. What kind of small dog do/or did you have and why did you like it? Needs to be able to travel occasionally with me too.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 PM

I have a Lhasa Apso, about 10 years old. He's a sweetie with me...but if he doesn't know you, be careful! He nips! He doesnt' travel with us anywhere, because we have 4 dogs and certainly can't take them all. But he would do well if we took him.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:30 PM

Check out King Charles Cavelier Spaniels. They range between 12 and 20 lbs and would live in an apartment quite happily. They are the friendliest, happiest little dogs and come in 4 different colours, black and tan, tri-colour, ruby and Blenheim (gold and white). Their coats are not difficult to maintain but they sometimes get stuff caught in their long ears. They love to play with balls, squeaky toys and frisbees. Beacause of their size, Cavaliers will fit into a small travel dog carrier and can fly tucked under your seat. My daughter has flown out of province with hers on more than one occassion.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:31 PM

I have shih tzus and they are fun dogs. They don't need a lot of running space.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:31 PM

I have three small dogs. They are all loving little ladies. Two are from the Humane society and the blond one is a yorkie. You can see them in my avatar. Re-homing a dog is a wonderful thing. If you get a young dog you can train them and bond with them; however an older dog may love you even more because you chose them. My Yorkie is a re-homed dog too. She is a precious little being. I am blessed each day with their companionship and with the knowledge that they are still in this world because we chose to take them home with us.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:38 PM

I have a Boston Terrier, and three boxers. I love them all. However I've noticed that the Boston barks a lot more than the Boxers. I believe this is true of many smaller breeds. So, if living in a condo, do consider the "vocals" of those breeds you are considering! (: Good luck finding a wonderful companion.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:04 PM

Check out local pound for a pet. Giving a pound dog a chance for a good home will be rewarding to you and the dog.
I would rather have mixed breed dog, they seem to be hardy.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 PM

I have a 3 year old Chihuahua, female by the name of Chantilly Lacie. We call her Lacie for short.

The breeder that we got her from trains her dogs to use a potty box, and she uses shredded paper. Even in the winter, I didn't have to worry about letting her out in the cold to do her business.

She is the greatest. We also live in a condo and it is PLENTY of room for her.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 PM

One of my 3 is a hairless Chinese Crested. They are fairly quiet. Hate to go outside if it's breezy, cold, rainy, too sunny....uhm very much prefer to be inside and under a blanket. He will go outside to do his duty, but I have a kind of paper/litterbox for him so he doesn't have to when it's rainy, breezy snowy...you get the idea. He's easy to keep clean you just have to remember to moisturize his skin or sunscreen him. No grooming and he loves to cuddle.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Pam

I have a couple of chihuahuas, and have had a pom. I would recommed a mixed breed small dog from a shelter. I dearly love my chihuahuas but would not have another. The nervous shaking is not a trait I like. I really misss the pom. Go look for one that really needs you! You both will be better off.