got a dog?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:54 PM

You need to decide how much time you have to devote to their maintenance, and how much money. Long haired dogs take more care as far as brushing, or money to get clipped. Some dogs have oilier coats than others leading to being a bit more smelly. Another consideration is how active you are. Some dogs require less exercise than other dogs. Also, there's the hair. Toy poodles don't shed are easy to carry with but they sometimes have a tendency to be hyper. Dogs are like husbands(or wives)---pick the one that has the most qualities you like but realize that there's still going to be some things that you don't like.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:15 PM

I have 3 small dogs and they are all great, one is a Min Pin, one is a Jack Rat and the other is a Rat Terrier. Two of them are rescue dogs. All of them are lovers.....and very devoted to the family.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:18 PM

We had a shitzu. Wonderful dog. Did not bark, loved to go in the car. If there was an empty lap available she was in it. Loved carmel corn. Very nice small dog. Makes a wonderful pet.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 PM

wow, lots of ideas. Thanks. I have planned to do the pound for my shopping - had two older cats from there and gave them both a good ending to their lives. I also don't like nervous or yippie dogs, so that is a concern I'll deal with. and one question, Miss M - what is a Min Pin? think I've heard of all the rest of the breeds listed.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 PM

we have a pug. Her name is Crouton. Love her to pieces, smart, behaved- wonderful with kids. she's now 12 and has been slowing down but still loves the babies.

we also did a pug rescue 3 years ago. Spencer (named after Jimmy Spencer the NASCAR driver) now lives with my daughter.

we also have a beagle, who isn't really that big.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-80632.jpe  
Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 PM

I'll add another vote for the Cavelier King Charles Spaniel. My daughter has had one for a little over a year now and he is really something special. He really loves his people, loves to ride in the car, thinks he's much bigger and tougher than he could ever be for his size, and he's a riot to watch when he's playing with his toys. Yes, he is energetic, but he also loves to cuddle and be petted and groomed. One note, however -- they are expensive to purchase.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 PM

I have 3 rescues...2 mixed breed.

The poodle is great but she is high strung and shakes which makes me feel bad fot her. Other than that she's great.

annnd...You can't beat having a dog that doesn't shed. In the future If I can I will always choose a non-shedding dog over all the others.Of course it will also depend on the personality too .
Old 07-08-2010, 06:02 PM

We have 3 dogs but my baby is the Lhasa Apso. She is my joy. She is 3 yrs old. Loves to take road trips, is wonderful in a motel. Will only go potty when I take her for a walk at the motel. Little eater, likes a little cottage cheese on a small amt of dry dog food. Sleeps right up against me at night. Last time my husband was in hospital and I was there with him even at night, when we came home after 2 weeks she actually was crying to see me. She even has a stroller that she can be inside like if we are traveling and want to go in a mall etc. no one can see in to know there is a dog inside. She weighs about 9 lbs. Fpllows me from room to room and I will say, OK lucie it is time to lay down for awhile and we lay down on the bed for a short time.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

We just got a miniature dachshund. He is a lover. And had been trained to shredded paper. He love to play fetch but is OK here during the day when we are at work. He loves DGD. She is his people. What a great little dog. He will weigh about ten pounds. He is going camping with us next week. I can take him anywhere and he is a good dog.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-80296.jpe   attachment-80297.jpe   attachment-80298.jpe  
Old 07-08-2010, 06:40 PM

What about a miniature austrailan shepherd or a schnauzer.