got a dog?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 PM

I rescue Italian greyhounds. They are between 8 and 15 lbs. Average about 10-12. They do not shed, which is a huge plus, and they are usually quiet and total couch potatoes. Unless they have the zoomies. They have two speeds- running or asleep and they sleep alot.

They do not like to go outside when it is cold, rainy, drizzly, snowy, etc. And can be difficult to potty train, though often do well with potty pads in inclement weather.

They love love love to cuddle, and sleep under the covers.

There are rescues all over the country- check Petfinder.com or contact me if you want a contact in your area.

If they are socialized and comfortable, you can take them anywhere- I know a couple of iggies who are international travelers- and they do great. The MUST be kept on leash, because they can run up to 35 miles per hour, so can get away in a blink.

If you work with a rescue, you can get one that fits your lifestyle- most of them are fostered, so we have a pretty good idea of the personality before adopting out. The older ones that come out of puppy mills and have not been handled as babies, are often really really shy.

Right now, I have the happiest, friendliest little girl you ever saw up for adoption, and three older dogs that are afraid of people- way more work. I also have a little mix puppy who is a total sweetie.

Anyway. Check out rescue, in whatever breed you are interested in. For rescues that foster- you get lots of feedback and information before you adopt- so it's not quite as much of a crap shoot as going to a shelter or petstore. (And remember, petstore puppies come from PUPPY MILLS). I have photos of some of the dogs that have come through here from mills- splayed feet from malnutrition, burn scars, broken and untreated fractures. Just to keep those babies supplied to the pet stores.

(Sorry- rant.)

Have fun picking a friend. If you need help, let me know.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

I had a Pug mix that was a Hurricane Kartina rescue, and she was such a wonderful little dog. They werent sure WHAT she was mixed with, we thought maybe Jack Russel Terrier, because she was smart as a whip. Loved riding in the car, didnt bark, unless someone came to the door....we even got her a doggy life jacket so she could swim with our lab. I would get another little mixed breedin a minute!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:50 PM

Yorkie are good travel dogs they are small and can be under the front seat on a plane. they are very smart.. Where you are they will want to be next to you. I have 2 mine are girls a friend has 8 .
Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 PM

I recommend the Shi-tzu's or Cavalier Spaniel. Have had both and are great dogs, smart, obedient, friendly yet protective. DH loved them too.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 PM

Check out ------- petfinder.com...and fall in love!!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:39 AM

Have to add my favorite of all the dogs I have had. Mattie is a Cairn terrier, and she has been the sweetest, most loving dog I've ever met. She does not meet a stranger, never has , she thinks anyone coming here it is to see her. She is old now, 16 years, and her health is failing, yet she never fails to be happy . She even grins when family comes to visit! We have had her since she was 3 months old, she took right to new grandbabies as they came along. Very playful right to the past year when her hips got so bad, and even now she tries, in spurts to play with our Shinese(Shiz & Peke). She will bark at the doorbell, but stops when told too. We've never heard a mean bark, just her happy happy bark. She was very easy to housebreak and she doesn"t shed, but I do need to give her a good combing once in awhile to get out the dead hair. If you want to be loved, and don"t want to have something that needs coddleing, A Cairn is for yiu. They are small, but not purse size!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
Check out King Charles Cavelier Spaniels. They range between 12 and 20 lbs and would live in an apartment quite happily. They are the friendliest, happiest little dogs and come in 4 different colours, black and tan, tri-colour, ruby and Blenheim (gold and white). Their coats are not difficult to maintain but they sometimes get stuff caught in their long ears. They love to play with balls, squeaky toys and frisbees. Beacause of their size, Cavaliers will fit into a small travel dog carrier and can fly tucked under your seat. My daughter has flown out of province with hers on more than one occassion.
We have a Cavalier King Charles, tri-color. They really are great dogs. They are so good natured. Good around children, but I would recommend you expose them to children when he/she is a puppy. They are good dogs for apt. dwelling. Don't need alot of space. We only travel with him in our RV.

We love our little guy, but I would recommend a little girl. Our guy has the "alpha" male thing going and isn't all that friendly with other dogs. Also, one thing to be VERY careful about, and of course, we have been bad parents, is that they love to eat. And I'm not talking dog food. It is so hard to resist that face of theirs. Ours is overweight and is on a diet. It is hard for him to get exercise because he was born with a small bone problem in his hip.

I would caution you about getting one, if you intend to leave it for long periods of time, like a 6-8 hour day. They do not like to be left alone and are VERY much people dogs. We did a lot of research before we got our puppy (after we retired), and he fit exactly what we wanted and he certainly has been a great addition to our family.

Reagan
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79700[/ATTACH]

Reagan
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79701[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-79695.jpe   attachment-79696.jpe  
Old 07-09-2010, 06:44 PM

I'm partial to shih tzus. The dog in my avatar is a shih tzu/lhasa apso cross. He's quiet, calm, and loves everyone especially kids. He loves going in the car, squeeky toys and curling up in any available lap. They don't need tons of exercise or space to run so would be a good choice for a condo.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
I'm considering getting a small dog - live in a condo so looking for a lovable creature that is suitable for that environment. What kind of small dog do/or did you have and why did you like it? Needs to be able to travel occasionally with me too.
rescue a greyhound..they are couch potatoes and don't bark like crazy. very welbehaved, shy and lovable.i have 2 friends that have greyhounds and one also has a rescue whippet. smaller than a greyhound, but basicly the same.

small dogs tend to be yappers..not a good thing in a condo. i have JRT's and a JRT/Beagle mix. very active ,high strung,and bark at everything.
I am by no means an expert, but small dogs tend to have seperation anxiety issues..are you home all the time? my Jack is 10 years old and he still goes through the shakes and gets upset when i go to get my keys or shoes. they both shed like crazy too!

if your not in a hurry, there is a great show on tv, "Dogs 101". they rate them in every aspect of owning one. grooming, health,family or high energy.

i would suggest talking to a vet, to get a better idea.

don't let "cute" be your guide! lol
Old 07-10-2010, 04:57 AM

I have a toy poodle. Her name is Punkin. Poodles do not shed and are very smart. They also travel well. I just made a 500 mile trip (one way) with Punkin and she did great. I stopped at rest stops and some even had an area for pets.
Plus they are not barkers. Yes, they bark, but not excessive. Punkin is also a good guard dog for me.