Old 07-13-2010, 07:42 PM
lab fairy

I feel better reading this. I don't have problems with regular sewing but many quilt blocks frustrate me.

This is like going into a lab for me:
My advice is to read all the directions before you start.

Collect all needed materials (you won't believe what isn't listed on the materials list, like regular sewing needles if you need to hand sew something shut, etc. They just expect you to have that sort of thing. For me it is more, where did I put that stuff?)

Highlight the "do this" parts if you need to. Some people need to alternate colors. I make notes on the instructions to clarify. If I make the pattern more than once I am usually re-engineering the directions. Notes just help the process. Especially when I write things like "don't make stupid mistake again". My daughter loves to borrow my patterns to laugh at me, I swear.

Remember, the seam ripper is still your friend. You are allowed to baste something, decide whether you did it right then restitch. It isn't a crime. 6 stitches per inch is a lot easier to rip than 20.

I think I may need to see one of these Bow-tuck patterns everyone talks about. I'm not sure what it really is, but I promise you are "Smarter than a 5th Grader". You can do this. Will you post pictures when you finish?