Old 07-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Janeen
Banned

I've done everything from hand-piecing/hand-quilting to machine-piecing/hand-quilting, to machine-piecing/machine quilting...
and I just last month took some tops to be done on a long arm for the very first time. They are tops I've had around for YEARS plus some that are really big and I didn't want to 'fight' with them.

I don't hand piece any more...

I did hand quilt that red/white/blue Irish chain and the whole time I worked on it I wished I had NOT started the hand quilting. I have arthritis in my hands plus diabetes and hypothyroid and my hands cramp something terrible when I hand sew. I do hand sew the back side of bindings but it takes me awhile... I just think it looks better done by hand (on the back side).

I've done stitch-in-the-ditch and stippling and meandering (my understanding is: stippling is closely spaced and meandering isn't 8) )
I have NOT done any of that "oh wow, that's fantastic" type of quilting that I know can be done on a regular machine - I just don't have the patience and I get really irritated and bugged when I'm trying to do something really (really) carefully and want to make it really beautiful and booger it up right off the bat... so then I wind up stippling... so I figure I'll stick with stitch-in-the ditch and stippling/meandering.

The most important thing is NOT an expensive machine - I've done stippling on a $70 Brother from Walmart - it wasn't my favorite but certainly acceptable. The most important thing is to make sure the tension is balanced and DON'T MOVE THE FABRIC TOO FAST.
I use two old Singer 301 machines for piecing and quilting and just today finally got the bobbin case for the Singer 15-90 that we found (1948 ) and want to try quilting on it.
and you want a darning foot.

Then make sure you've basted or pinned ALOT.. I use the big safety pins - got tired of stabbing myself.

Start in the middle and work your way out to an edge then go back to the middle.

The best thing to do is jump in with both feet. ... have a seam ripper handy LOL ... just don't cut the fabric :roll:

practice on something... stippling is easy after all...
invest three dollars in a pair of rubberized gardening gloves from walmart - you'll be amazed how they help maneuver the quilt...

most of all don't beat up on yourself, don't expect to be perfect the first, fifth, tenth time.... there is no such thing ... well, maybe... I've seen some pretty spectacular quilts but really - are they actually used on a bed? In the crib?