Old 07-18-2010, 08:16 AM
dsb38327

When you are machine stitching where do you focus your eyes (when the needle is in motion)?
I suspect there will be different answers to this question because we do things different ways. Having more than one option is important (in my opinion) because one way will work better for some of us and another way will work well for others. If you feel your answer is a 'standard' in quilting please say so. (Like using a 1/4" seam is standard.) Pictures are always appreciated.

I like to use my presser foot for my guide. This gets me in trouble because I tend to forget which part of the presser foot was going to be my marker for seam width on said project. I really like 1/2" seams. They make me feel good and lead me to believe they will not come apart in the wash.
I am converting because I want to do things the way they are intended to be done. 1/4" is the standard in quilting. I am going to train myself to sew a 1/4" seam consistently.
My answer to the post question:
I used the red line (#4) to align my raw edges and set my hands in place to sew.
As the needle goes to work I guided my raw edges against the rubber bumper (#3)
My eyes were focusing on #2 and #3 in sequence and almost at the same time. (#2: can you see the itsy red ink dot I put on the walking foot marking 1/4"?)
My seams are pretty, straight and 1/4".
I am eager for your knowledge and the different ways you do yours.

My 1/4" seam.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74971[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74964.jpe   attachment-74965.jpe   attachment-74966.jpe