Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you focus your eyes when you are machine stitching? >

Where do you focus your eyes when you are machine stitching?

Where do you focus your eyes when you are machine stitching?

Old 07-18-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lori L
Originally Posted by dsb38327
Originally Posted by Lori L
I haven't gone to the extreme you have ( don't have the red line) but I also have added a 1/4" guide to my throat plate using 1/4" quilting tape built up in several layers. I found using only my pressure foot to guide me made me inconsistent and I'm not sure why. Probably as you suggested and I wasn't focusing my eyes on that spot. I have found since I placed my tape guide to my throat plate I am very consistent with my 1/4" seams and I find my eyes tend to go from the pressure foot and the needle back to my 1/4" tape guide and things work well!
Throat plate? Do you have a front load bobbin? My bobbin is top load so I can only put the rubber bumper guide on top of the plastic lid I remove when I change the bobbin. If you have pictures you will give others a visual to follow if they want to set theirs up like you have. I really appreciate the response and related to your focus spots. Thank you.
Here is a picture of what I have set up for a 1/4" seam. I use a magnetic attachment next to my pressure foot and have the quilting tape built up on my throat plate. It is top loading so I can only have it for a short distance so I can maintain access to my bobbin.
Excellent. Thank you for the photos. They make it so easy to see and understand.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
I started using a 1/4-inch foot on my Janome. It works like a charm and I am able to focus on it better than a line I had drawn on my machine. The foot has a metal piece that comes down over the right hand edge of the foot and allows me to butt my fabric against it. I tried a test block and it does measure a true 1/4-inch seam.
I have become really spoiled to my quilting foot. Do you find the 1/4 inch foot is as easy to use as the quilting foot?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:50 PM

I got a Janome for taking with in our MH. Bought one of those quilting feet with the metal blade and just love it. Did some research and found one available for my Bernina too. Sure makes it much easier to get a 1/4" seam.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I'm watching my fabric as it goes under to foot. If I watch the needle I get off every time.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by cizzors
I never take my eye off the 1/4" foot-sometimes I forget to blink!
That's too funny! I forget to blink too!