Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you focus your eyes when you are machine stitching? >

Where do you focus your eyes when you are machine stitching?

Where do you focus your eyes when you are machine stitching?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:37 AM

I use my walking foot, then I set my needle so that when the material is at the edge of my walking foot, the needle position reads 6.1, and I get a perfect 1/4" seam allowance. But, I set it up for my friend and her 1/4" was 5.9. so you just have to work it out for your machine. But, my blocks always come out the right size, and I don't get frustrated.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 AM

I have a strip of tape with lines drawn on it that runs from my needle to where the bed of the machine curves down. I use the lines as guides for sewing half square triangles, putting opposite corners on the lines and keeping them there as I sew. I used a single edged razor blade to cut the tape on both sides of the plastic bobbin cover so it still can be opened. I focus my eyes on the line/corner of the triangle. This may be a solution to those of you concerned about having to remove the tape to change bobbins.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:57 AM

I have the 1/4" foot, too....and keep my eye one that. I stop though and double-check that the two pieces are in line with each other since I rarely pin.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:02 AM

First, when I FMQ I look about an inch infront of the foot so I watch where I am going, not where I've been. when piecing, I watch right in front of the needle.

I also do not draw lines diagonal across squares for HST, I use a couple layers of painters tape and sew from corner to corner.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 AM

Depends on the foot I am using and the type of stitch. The needle already knows where it is going so I have to guide it correctly. There are spots I focus on on the bobbin. I don't watch the needle and I m careful where my fingers are. :?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:05 AM

I started using a 1/4-inch foot on my Janome. It works like a charm and I am able to focus on it better than a line I had drawn on my machine. The foot has a metal piece that comes down over the right hand edge of the foot and allows me to butt my fabric against it. I tried a test block and it does measure a true 1/4-inch seam.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Originally Posted by Lori L
I haven't gone to the extreme you have ( don't have the red line) but I also have added a 1/4" guide to my throat plate using 1/4" quilting tape built up in several layers. I found using only my pressure foot to guide me made me inconsistent and I'm not sure why. Probably as you suggested and I wasn't focusing my eyes on that spot. I have found since I placed my tape guide to my throat plate I am very consistent with my 1/4" seams and I find my eyes tend to go from the pressure foot and the needle back to my 1/4" tape guide and things work well!
Throat plate? Do you have a front load bobbin? My bobbin is top load so I can only put the rubber bumper guide on top of the plastic lid I remove when I change the bobbin. If you have pictures you will give others a visual to follow if they want to set theirs up like you have. I really appreciate the response and related to your focus spots. Thank you.
Here is a picture of what I have set up for a 1/4" seam. I use a magnetic attachment next to my pressure foot and have the quilting tape built up on my throat plate. It is top loading so I can only have it for a short distance so I can maintain access to my bobbin.

my tapes a little dinged up.....time to put a new layer on
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74695[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74690.jpe   attachment-74691.jpe  
Old 07-18-2010, 11:54 AM

My foot is 1/4 inch also. Makes it easy to do.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:16 PM

I never take my eye off the 1/4" foot-sometimes I forget to blink!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
If you have #3 over your bobbin area, do you remove it each time you have to fill the bobbin and then realign it? Is it a pain?
No problem. It is the sticky back stuff. I took the bobbin cover top off, measured the sticky back stuff the width of the cover and cut it (with the paper still on) that width. Then I only unpeeled enough of the sticky back (1/4"?) for it to stick to the bobbin cover top. In the photo you can see the excess sticking up. I go under it and snap the tab to unlock the top and use the excess to pull the top up. It has been no trouble at all.