View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 05:49 PM
gingerella

Originally Posted by Annz
I never really thought about it. If it is a pattern I don't think I have the right to name it other than what the pattern is. I am not a designer so I will never be able to design one but now that you mention it I think I will name all my quilts from now on. Wait a minute I did create some of my own quilts even if they were nine or twelve block squares. It is what design fabric you put into it that is creative.
I do name some of mine as I've noted earlier. But not all.
Very often, while making a new quilt top from a pattern, I will use the exact (as exact as I can make it) colors and if possible even the name of the manufacturer of the fabric. After all, the picture is most likely the thing about the pattern that caught my eye. And if I do, I have very often used the name that the designer has given the pattern.

I find that the quilts I like the most and would be the hardest to part with however, are mostly unnamed ones. Sometimes I think it's because I'm not quite finished with them in some way. As I look at them, I remember that they were all a real intellectual challenge as well as a sewing challenge. (I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone.)

But if I make a scrappy quilt top, using more or less standard blocks, and my own color combinations, I usually come up with a name for it in my head while I am working on it. The name will sort of come to me while I'm busy, as I think about the quilt itself.