Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You "Name" Your Quilt?

I've seen a lot of postings on here but very few have "named" their quilt or given it a title i.e. GARDEN PARTY, TO THE GARDEN etc.

So......the question is "Do You Name Your Quilt"?

No, I make mine to give away and they're definitely not the "FANCY" ones that I've seen on this board!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I name all the quilts that I design. It helps when you enter them in shows, and if you want to write up a pattern/instructions for them.

I name my quilts even if I didn't design it. I put the name of the quilt on the label.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Sometimes I do but I really should name them all. Yours jumped out at me b/c I love that song :D

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Most of mine have similar names: "Finally Finished" - "Pain in the tuches" - "Relieved it's done" etc. lol

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Most of mine have similar names: "Finally Finished" - "Pain in the tuches" - "Relieved it's done" etc. lol
    LOL yeah, that's me too sometimes haha

I try to name mine most often referencing the name the original pattern designer had and adding something "original". Also, trust me, have no intention of having my quilts in a show. With that said, I truly admire some of the beautiful quilts that are in shows.

giggle

I have named EVERY quilt I have ever made. I don't have any kids so I think it is fun to be able to name something in this world.

I sure do. Sometimes it's just a name I use to associate which quilt is which - like "The Otter Quilt" or "Ugly Gold and Brown Quilt" When I'm trying to be serious about naming a quilt I think about it forever - it can be like trying to name a child! lol

MadQuilter got me thinking.....maybe some names just aren't printable!!! #@&*$ Quilt!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti
    MadQuilter got me thinking.....maybe some names just aren't printable!!! #@&*$ Quilt!!!!
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Love it!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I have probably only named one quilt. It was for my ex-husband's cousin's daughter (:wink: boy, that's wordy, huh?) who was graduating from high school. Their theme was the title of a Dr. Seuss book, Oh the Places You'll Go. I made her an autograph quilt and titled it using a line from the book, "Oh, the people you'll meet." I included a couple of Pigma pens so her friends and family could autograph the quilt during her open house. I told her to also have her new college friends autograph it, too. She loved her gift. I have a pic of it somewhere around here. If I can find it, I'll post it. 8-) :wink:

If mine were as gorgeous as the ones I've seen you make, I'd name them. Otherwise no. It never occured me to name them until I joined this site.

Yup, I name 'em all. Even the tiny doll quilt ones. Not the bags, though. I can't seem to write up a label unless the quilt has a title to put on it.

I started naming mine by about the 5th or 6th one. The early ones didn't get labels either.

Blog Entries
    I name most of my quilts while I am making them. Either what has prompted me to make the quilt for the person I am making it for or the occasion. Some I don't name until I give them away.

I name all of mine. Of course, there have only been 3 completed, so far. The one in my avatar is called "Night Music". There are musical notes and clefs quilted into it.

Sometimes I do. I recently finished a top made of green stars, and named it "Oh My Green Stars". I have made one I named "Australia Remembered" because the colors in it remind me of Australia, where we used to live.

I named one "Red Beans and Rice" - it's colors are reddish brown, red and white, and I threw in a bit of yellow. Not much yellow, just enough to consider it a taste of "corn". Another I made for my nephew who lives in Alaska "Alaskan Nights" - it was made in various shades of blue and a touch of reddish, greeny, and yellowish "aurora" bits.

It's kind of fun to name them. My sister made one of red and orange and pink with black sashings and called it "Road Rage".

Quote Originally Posted by gingerella
    Sometimes I do. I recently finished a top made of green stars, and named it "Oh My Green Stars". I have made one I named "Australia Remembered" because the colors in it remind me of Australia, where we used to live.

I named one "Red Beans and Rice" - it's colors are reddish brown, red and white, and I threw in a bit of yellow. Not much yellow, just enough to consider it a taste of "corn". Another I made for my nephew who lives in Alaska "Alaskan Nights" - it was made in various shades of blue and a touch of reddish, greeny, and yellowish "aurora" bits.

It's kind of fun to name them. My sister made one of red and orange and pink with black sashings and called it "Road Rage".
    Very creative names!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    No, I make mine to give away and they're definitely not the "FANCY" ones that I've seen on this board!
    They don't have to be fancy to have a name. My avy is named "Frames" and there's nothing fancy about it.
    I made one for my husband, named it and it was to be taken outside when he flies airplanes. I do it especially if I'm giving them away to make it more personal. If they're being donated to charity I don't name them.

No. They don't stay long enough.

Yep, all of 'em have titles. Sometimes the title even comes before the design which comes before the fabric selection which comes before I start cutting and sewing! I'm weird like that. :lol:

Gosh, I love this place ... it never occurred to me to name my quilts. Like others, sometimes I have a special name for a quilt, but I wouldn't want to put it on the label. I do put the pattern name on each quilt I make (i.e., Trip Around the World, Rails, Double Irish Chain, Patchwork). Great idea that I may try to use. Thanks.

I have never named my quilts however, after reading so long on this board, I am going to start. I am hand quilting a quilt for the first time. It is a patriotic quilt and I thought about how many opportunities I have had to learn from the mistakes I have made on the quilt and, "America, the Land of Opportunity" popped in to my head. I am going to name the quilt "Opportunity". The next quilt I am working on is also a patriotic quilt and I am going to name it "Gratitude" in honor of my ancestors that have fought for our freedom throughout many generations.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast