Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You "Name" Your Quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    I have never named my quilts however, after reading so long on this board, I am going to start. I am hand quilting a quilt for the first time. It is a patriotic quilt and I thought about how many opportunities I have had to learn from the mistakes I have made on the quilt and, "America, the Land of Opportunity" popped in to my head. I am going to name the quilt "Opportunity". The next quilt I am working on is also a patriotic quilt and I am going to name it "Gratitude" in honor of my ancestors that have fought for our freedom throughout many generations.
    Your names sound perfect for your quilts!!!! I hope you'll post them when you're finished!

I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Patti
    Quote Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    I have never named my quilts however, after reading so long on this board, I am going to start. I am hand quilting a quilt for the first time. It is a patriotic quilt and I thought about how many opportunities I have had to learn from the mistakes I have made on the quilt and, "America, the Land of Opportunity" popped in to my head. I am going to name the quilt "Opportunity". The next quilt I am working on is also a patriotic quilt and I am going to name it "Gratitude" in honor of my ancestors that have fought for our freedom throughout many generations.
    Your names sound perfect for your quilts!!!! I hope you'll post them when you're finished!
    Thanks for the support. I will post pics when they are done.

I name most of mine. Some are just quilts.

All of my quilts have names of precious stones. I think that fits perfectly: wholecloths can have every color and they are very valuable- exactly like the precious stones! I can do almost hundreds of quilts and I always find a matching name for them.

Blog Entries
    I always try to name all my quilts, a name that suits their personality:ie aquarium trellis, Dragons waltz, Mama Rose.

Aquarium trellis was called that because it was made from Eleanor Burns' pattern Trellis, with fish swimming in the back ground and flowers all over the trellis,in the foreground.

Dragons' Waltz was named that because it was Eleanor Burns' Tennessee waltz pattern and dragons were quilted in the large snowball areas.

Mama Rose was a quilt that I made for my Mother with a wreath of all kinds of roses twining in the middle.

And so on....

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    All of my quilts have names of precious stones. I think that fits perfectly: wholecloths can have every color and they are very valuable- exactly like the precious stones! I can do almost hundreds of quilts and I always find a matching name for them.
    Great idea!!!!

Maybe I'm the weird one, but my quilts always tell me their name while I'm working on them.I've only had a couple that were silent about the name they should get.

Yes. For the grandkids graduations for instance:
    "Favorite Colors" for the grandson who chose gray, balck and red.
    "Joy" --"Celebration" for granddaughters.

"Kansas Sunflowers" for my home state.
    "Courage" for the Relay for Life quilte made out of t-shirts from the race for my sister who is a 12 year Survivor.

It is a good way to commerate the love and prayers put into each quilt.

I have named one, called it The Tractor Quilt...guess what it had on it.

I have named other quilts that I didn't like so much, but can't print the names here :) :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural City Girl

I have named other quilts that I didn't like so much, but can't print the names here :) :) :)
    Ummmm......Tractors?!!!

Ummmm......Tractors?!!!
    You got it, not only tractors but red Farmall tractors!!!

Ummmm......Tractors?!!!
    You got it, not only tractors but red Farmall tractors!!!
    I googled Farmall tractors.....those are really cool looking!!!

Yep I name every quilt. However I've never bought a kit with pattern and fabric all my quilts are of my own design. Each one is made for someone with a so called reason or theme. My avatar "lady of courage" was made for a friend of my mothers that survived a long battle of breast cancer. I also give and wont sell. I start my quilts most of the time with no idea who will recieve it or the name it all just seems to fall into place. I also take pictures of the cutting and piecing and the sewing, kinda a log of how it starts and how it ends. I started a scrappy sunbonnet sue quilt last december it ended up being a snowball quilt calling it "the beauty in chaos" due to all the chaos my daughter "caused" (alls well now). I've said it before that for me each quilt I make is a snip of time a reflection of whats going on at that moment in time, at least for me. Maybe I'm too emotional, but I think everyone should name them after all they are a work of art.

I have name some not all. All of them don't have labels either.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Most of mine have similar names: "Finally Finished" - "Pain in the tuches" - "Relieved it's done" etc. lol
    Although it won a ribbon I have one I named "Never Again"!

I think naming the quilt is a big part of the process. It helps me to complete the quilt knowing it will represent my feelings and mood during the process. Sometimes, but not often it takes on the [email protected]#%^^^. It seems fun to inherit or find a quilt with a name and think who and what the quilter's mindset might have been.

The quilt I made for a small grandson was all blue, except for the center block of the log cabins, it was titled"Grandma Gets Rid of the Blues". And, the patchwork heart quilt I made for our fiftieth anniversary accidentally had one block turned wrong, didn't see it till it was on the frame, that quilt is now called "Change of Heart", and most people think it refers to all the colors in the blocks, who am I to tell the true story? piecefully, the old one

I've seen a lot of postings on here but very few have "named" their quilt or given it a title i.e. GARDEN PARTY, TO THE GARDEN etc.

So......the question is "Do You Name Your Quilt"?
    Patti, I don't always name my quilts (however, reading this board I should). Funny story about a quilt that I did name...My son is a semi truck driver and when he got his first job every direction that he was given "he always went the opposite" the employees nicknamed him "Wrong Way". He asked for a quilt and I made it the "Wrong Way" even though it came out really nice, so when I gave it to him...I told him the quilt had been named "Wrong Way" & he just loves it. LOL

Mine are all named "FINALLY DONE"

Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Yep I name every quilt. However I've never bought a kit with pattern and fabric all my quilts are of my own design. Each one is made for someone with a so called reason or theme. My avatar "lady of courage" was made for a friend of my mothers that survived a long battle of breast cancer. I also give and wont sell. I start my quilts most of the time with no idea who will recieve it or the name it all just seems to fall into place. I also take pictures of the cutting and piecing and the sewing, kinda a log of how it starts and how it ends. I started a scrappy sunbonnet sue quilt last december it ended up being a snowball quilt calling it "the beauty in chaos" due to all the chaos my daughter "caused" (alls well now). I've said it before that for me each quilt I make is a snip of time a reflection of whats going on at that moment in time, at least for me. Maybe I'm too emotional, but I think everyone should name them after all they are a work of art.
    Thank you for sharing how you name your quilts!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dungeonquilts
    I've seen a lot of postings on here but very few have "named" their quilt or given it a title i.e. GARDEN PARTY, TO THE GARDEN etc.

So......the question is "Do You Name Your Quilt"?
    Patti, I don't always name my quilts (however, reading this board I should). Funny story about a quilt that I did name...My son is a semi truck driver and when he got his first job every direction that he was given "he always went the opposite" the employees nicknamed him "Wrong Way". He asked for a quilt and I made it the "Wrong Way" even though it came out really nice, so when I gave it to him...I told him the quilt had been named "Wrong Way" & he just loves it. LOL
    Great story!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn1
    Mine are all named "FINALLY DONE"
    Perfect!!!!!!

Gosh, I really have never given it much thought before. Guess I will now!!

Occasionally I do but mainly the ones that have given me a chuckle or a fit get named. My most recent one was Maroon Christmas Tree With Bear! I was trying to make my own pattern but ran out of fabric at the top. LOL Check it out.

Charity Quilt-Maroon Christmas Tree With Bear
    Name:  Attachment-74912.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  105.3 KB

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast