View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 03:39 PM
MZStitch

I taught a ten week learn to quilt class for adult education. The first class I asked them to just bring thier machines. I made a hand out of required materials and we spent the first part of the class going over that list. (Material, cutting mat, rotary cutters, rulars, etc. ) I tried to give them as much information about all of this so they could make their selections on their own when they went to shop. They were told to prewash and iron thier fabric for class two. The second half of class one I had brought with me 1 1/2 inch strips. We reviewed the importance of a quarter inch seam and they practiced sewing them together, ironing them, and measuring them to see if they got it correct. Then we made them into nametags to wear for the class so we all got to know each other!

Once class two started and each class thereafter, we would review a step at one sewing machine, then everyone would go back to thier machine and complete it on thier own. I also provided lots of handouts, that I had typed up with pictures for them.

I tried not to give homework, as it would slow down the class if they didn't get theier homework done. If they didn't finish classwork, they did need to complete it at home. First we made a 9 patch pillow, and second a tablerunner using the turndash block, which enabled them to learn triangles, and binding of a quilt.
Make a sample of your project at home and it will help you decide how long to make your class.

You will teach people with all different levels and you will find some perfectionists and some much less so. I tried to point out their errors but only make them rip it out if it was a real problem, as I didn't want to make thier first projects frustrating ones! (Like if points didn't meet up.)

Hope some of this helps, feel free to message me if you have any questions! I loved teaching, but moved to a distant state and haven't found the same opportunity again, but hope to do so again some day!