Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions for quilt class teachers >

Questions for quilt class teachers

Questions for quilt class teachers

Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 AM

I am curious about "how" you teach your quilt students. Do you do step by step along with them, creating a complete quilt as they do? Do you have them do prep work before coming to the first class? Do you give them homework if there are to be two sessions? How do you decide how long to make the class and how much will be accomplished in each one? How can you determine a student's level of experience before hand?
I love to share the knowledge, but have limited group teaching experience for quilting. I usually teach one at a time. Now I've been asked to teach small classes
Old 07-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

That is a tough question.

There are some people that are very good that still consider themselves "beginners."

There are others that literally know NOTHING about the subject and need to start "from the very beginning" - like this sharp pointy thing with a hole in one end is a needle - along with a demonstration on how it is used - these pointy sharp things are straight pins - etc.

(That isn't meant sarcastically - it's how I am with computers and computer programs)
Old 07-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

It totally depends what you want to teach. I really enjoy teaching very beginning quilters to do a sampler quilt.
My first class we discussed fabric and fabric choices. I showed samples and discussed contrast. We actually chose our fabrics during this class. It was really good for students to have everyone else's input. I also discussed and showed the tools required, but I am talking about total beginners.

For homework, I had them wash, dry and press their fabrics.

The beginning of class two I taught them the ins and outs of cutting with a rotary cutter and we cut the first block. I had samples of each and each piece cut and we proceeded from there. I also had them test their 1/4 inch seams before sewing the first block. We usually made two blocks during each lesson, because it was an evening class.
I didn't sew with them because I wanted to be able to monitor their progress and help as needed. I taught elementary school for 20 years so I may be a little anal about giving all of the information I can.
After completing all twelve blocks. I taught them how to complete the top.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

When I am learning something new, I much prefer getting every single step included, rather than having the instructor "assume" I know anything.

If I signed up for an "intermediate" class, I expect the very basics to be skipped over.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 AM

Sadiemae, I like your method. I recently took a couple of classes (my first actually) and I was wanting exactly what you said. Maybe I am one of those who still calls myself a beginner but has some experience. I wanted someone to look at what I was doing and tell me what I could be doing better. I wanted the instructor to treat me almost like a complete newbie because who knows how many bad habits I have ingrained.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 AM

Wow, so far you have given me some really good thoughts on this subject! I would be a little concerned about have intermediate students feeling bored or ya-da-ya-da attitude, if I speak on a beginning level...you understand my point?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
Wow, so far you have given me some really good thoughts on this subject! I would be a little concerned about have intermediate students feeling bored or ya-da-ya-da attitude, if I speak on a beginning level...you understand my point?
Speaking as a late-learning math student - I appreciated the quick review/summary at the beginning of the book.

For the review part (if you are going to have that), perhaps have the class members "do" part of it as a sort of group activity/review thing.

Instructor: What have you learned about fabrics since you started quilting?
Class:

Instructor: Why do you wash your fabrics before cutting? (If you want to encourage this practice - which I think should be mandatory)
Class:

etc.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:39 PM

I taught a ten week learn to quilt class for adult education. The first class I asked them to just bring thier machines. I made a hand out of required materials and we spent the first part of the class going over that list. (Material, cutting mat, rotary cutters, rulars, etc. ) I tried to give them as much information about all of this so they could make their selections on their own when they went to shop. They were told to prewash and iron thier fabric for class two. The second half of class one I had brought with me 1 1/2 inch strips. We reviewed the importance of a quarter inch seam and they practiced sewing them together, ironing them, and measuring them to see if they got it correct. Then we made them into nametags to wear for the class so we all got to know each other!

Once class two started and each class thereafter, we would review a step at one sewing machine, then everyone would go back to thier machine and complete it on thier own. I also provided lots of handouts, that I had typed up with pictures for them.

I tried not to give homework, as it would slow down the class if they didn't get theier homework done. If they didn't finish classwork, they did need to complete it at home. First we made a 9 patch pillow, and second a tablerunner using the turndash block, which enabled them to learn triangles, and binding of a quilt.
Make a sample of your project at home and it will help you decide how long to make your class.

You will teach people with all different levels and you will find some perfectionists and some much less so. I tried to point out their errors but only make them rip it out if it was a real problem, as I didn't want to make thier first projects frustrating ones! (Like if points didn't meet up.)

Hope some of this helps, feel free to message me if you have any questions! I loved teaching, but moved to a distant state and haven't found the same opportunity again, but hope to do so again some day!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:19 AM

Maybe you could start by making a picture sheet of all types of quilting tools and see how many they can name. Ask if anyone has quilted before. Get your cues from this. If they were garment sewers remind them of that 1/4 seam that was hard to get used to for me. Show them all the different household materials you can make free templates from, boxes, plastic lids, leftover floor tiles etc.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:40 AM

I taught at a community college and was very dissappointed that we did not have many outlets for the students to bring their machines. I brought in my mats and tools for them to use. If possible visit the room you will be teaching in to see the layout. We were also very cramped.
The students will vary about what they consider their skill level. One student asked me the first day if she would need scissors. I thougt she was kidding, she was not.
Have a syllabus, so if they have to miss a class they know what will be covered. I asked the first day what they were interested in learning.
I brought in my quilts I had made, books of mine, and samples of blocks. I told the class I do not loan out my books beacuse too many do not come back. My class wanted patterns, so I made a list of free pattern sites and e-mailed it to them. I also gave them the address for several forums.
Explain to them that all aspects of quilting can not be covered in such a short class.
And just have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!