Thread: Rag quilt
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 06:59 AM
chamby

Okay, please do not accuse me of being the quilt police. I just had to share this with everyone. A dear sewing friend of mine at work kept asking how to make a rag quilt. I went into detail explaining the process to her. She has mainly sewn clothes all these years and has been getting into making quilts. She is doing a wonderful job. I am presently working on another rag quilt myself and decided to take it to work to show her the process so that she could understand better.
When I showed it to her she said oh I have finished mine already, but I did not put mine together that way. She stated that she put it together in the regular sandwich manner. She sewed all the blocks together, then a layer of batting and the backing. This means that she still had to go back and quilt it together. I told her that just defeated the purpose of a rag quilt. I explained the reason that you make each block complete and stitch together is that when you are done you are done. Her reply was " That would have taken too long.
Oh, well we all have our own ways of doing things.