Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag quilt >

Rag quilt

Rag quilt

Old 11-15-2010, 01:54 PM

to me a rag quilt is not te same as QAYG (quilt as you go). Yes, when I made a rag quilt I did do it as a sandwich and when I was done, i was done. But I have never used batting in a rag quilt. To me a rag quilt has so many layers (or just some very heavy fabrics like denim) that you don't need batting.

See, just another interpretation of a rag quilt. It works for me the way I do it, but I am interested in making one that has batting squares in it also. Good use for batting scraps.

To me if it has a fringed side to it, it's a rag quilt. How it's put together is a matter of preference for the quilter.

Just my 2 cents....
Old 11-15-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Marvlin
Originally Posted by chamby
Okay, please do not accuse me of being the quilt police. I just had to share this with everyone. A dear sewing friend of mine at work kept asking how to make a rag quilt. I went into detail explaining the process to her. She has mainly sewn clothes all these years and has been getting into making quilts. She is doing a wonderful job. I am presently working on another rag quilt myself and decided to take it to work to show her the process so that she could understand better.
When I showed it to her she said oh I have finished mine already, but I did not put mine together that way. She stated that she put it together in the regular sandwich manner. She sewed all the blocks together, then a layer of batting and the backing. This means that she still had to go back and quilt it together. I told her that just defeated the purpose of a rag quilt. I explained the reason that you make each block complete and stitch together is that when you are done you are done. Her reply was " That would have taken too long.
Oh, well we all have our own ways of doing things.
I have been trying for weeks now to find a pattern for making a rag quilt. I then realized maybe it was just the way you put the blocks together, but I don't have a clue how to make this quilt. Do you have instructions or do you know where I can find instructions for making my rag quilt? I really do want the rag quilt technique, shaggy and different. I think the "frayed" look is so pretty and I need to make a baby quilt for my grandchildren. Please, please tell me where I can find these instructions. Thank you
I sent you a PM with some links to directions to make rag quitls. Hope it helps.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:36 PM

You were trying to teach & show her a specific technique, new to her. She just didn't Get that part of it. It's the Learning that usually intrigues new and experienced quilters, alike. If it were me, I would have felt a kind of confusion over the whole thing. A rose by any other name, after all, is still a rose.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by KarenSimon
I wouldn't have considered that a "rag quilt".

Me neither. I'm working on my first one now for my first grandchild. Hope it turns out ok.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
Okay, please do not accuse me of being the quilt police. I just had to share this with everyone. A dear sewing friend of mine at work kept asking how to make a rag quilt. I went into detail explaining the process to her. She has mainly sewn clothes all these years and has been getting into making quilts. She is doing a wonderful job. I am presently working on another rag quilt myself and decided to take it to work to show her the process so that she could understand better.
When I showed it to her she said oh I have finished mine already, but I did not put mine together that way. She stated that she put it together in the regular sandwich manner. She sewed all the blocks together, then a layer of batting and the backing. This means that she still had to go back and quilt it together. I told her that just defeated the purpose of a rag quilt. I explained the reason that you make each block complete and stitch together is that when you are done you are done. Her reply was " That would have taken too long.
I have been trying for weeks now to find a pattern for making a rag quilt. I then realized maybe it was just the way you put the blocks together, but I don't have a clue how to make this quilt. Do you have instructions or do you know where I can find instructions for making my rag quilt? I really do want the rag quilt technique, shaggy and different. I think the "frayed" look is so pretty and I need to make a baby quilt for my grandchildren. Please, please tell me where I can find these instructions. Thank you
I sent you a PM with some links to directions to make rag quitls. Hope it helps.
Just what I needed and many thanks to you for your help. I love this site because of giving and sharing people like your self. It is such a pleasure to ask for help and have someone at the ready to give a helping hand. Many thanks to all of you.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
Just what I needed and many thanks to you for your help. I love this site because of giving and sharing people like your self. It is such a pleasure to ask for help and have someone at the ready to give a helping hand. Many thanks to all of you.
I am so sorry that I did not answer you. I just now saw this post. My life has been so busy lately. The holidays are upon us and I am in the middle of changing job positions. I am so glad that the others here helped you out. Can't wait to see your rag quilt.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:14 PM

I am appreciative of the kind words given to us beginner, but if our mistakes are not corrected in our learning process, we will continue to make the same mistakes. Praise is good, but if we really want to learn, we must accept the wisdom of our sinior quilters.If my adopted board member correct my errors, I would not consider her a quilt police, to me she is a teacher. Keep it real. Thank you for being here.