View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 04:01 PM
katmom54

See...this is what makes me crazy!! So many interpretations...
I think if we consider the intent of copyrights, we would agree that mass producing or misrepresenting the design is really the base problem. To rename "quilt in a day" as "the 24hr quilt", using the same method and selling books...that is infringement. Making a few quilts from a pattern that you bought, using different fabrics etc and making a few bucks off them...that is just creative to my way of thinking.

I mean, why would designers publicize a pattern if they did not want it to be reproduced? What did they think would happen? When you have a good idea and sell it to someone else, do they really think it stops there? I could see if they made a quilt and 'showed' the quilt because they were proud of the design...and of course, I can understand that one-of-a-kind quilts should not be copied from a photo - that is just not fair , but hey - we all get our inspiration from somewhere whether it be another's work, or design on a tile, or nature...I am forever looking at quilt styles and color combos on this site and thinking that I want to make something like that...do I really need to get permission!!?!!
If a designer wants to copy-protect their designs, then they shouldn't sell the pattern or publish it. I always thought that they are selling their design to make $$ and the only way to do that is to allow others to use it. So if you are making a profit selling your pattern there is expectation that others will be making their profit off the use of the pattern. Considering the options with new quilting design software, soon noone will be buying patterns anymore from the big designers if they are too limiting.
I have been going to craft fairs for many years and not once have I seen 'permission granted' on any of the tables...

I am all for giving credit as due, but this seems to be getting way too complicated.
Next thing you know, we will have to pay a fee to see each others quilts on this site.