View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 01:18 PM
piepatch

I use homespun on all my rag quilts. I make a 3/4" seam, and clip the seam allowance every 1/4". I use the warm and natural batting, but a flannel or other batting would work well. I personally would not like a homespun quilt without batting because the fabric gets soft and kind of "limp" after a couple of washings. For denim or other heavy fabrics, I would not use batting because the quilt would be too heavy. I always wash the homespun fabric before I make the quilt, because it shrinks and some of the colors will bleed. Someone asked what homespun is.......well, the best I can describe it is that it is a rustic, cotton plaid fabric with a loose weave. It never seems to be woven straight, possibly because it is said to be made with "uneven" yarns. Some quilters love the wonky weave of the plaid, because it gives the quilt "motion", while I struggle to get my plaid squares cut straight :) Most all homespun is made in other countries, as is most of our fabrics now, but as recently as a few years ago, there was still some homespun on the market that was made in the USA. It was more expensive, but a much straighter weave, and the colors were more lasting. I am not sure if it is still available. If you use homespun fabric, don't ever figure your yardage based on the width of the fabric because it shrinks after it is washed. I never figure homespun to be more than 40" in width after washing, and not even that much when you consider how crooked the weave is up close to the selvedge. All things considered, I love the look of homespun for the rag quilts.