View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 06:16 PM
aliaslaceygreen

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
So, if I make a quilt from a pattern and want to enter it in the State Fair or a local quilt show, I have to get permission from the designer to be able to display it publically? Does that mean that quilt store owners cannot put up a display quilt without permission from the designer? So, if I give away a quilt and that person displays it, they still have to research the pattern and get permission if I didn't put the designer's name on the label?

I really want to stay away from responding to anything on this thread, but this, let me try to explain this.

If you DO NOT state (and I would think that unless the organization that you are submitting it to requests a letter of permission, that stating is enough) that your quilt at the state fair is from the pattern or book by Jane Doe, or that you based your design on a photograph you saw by Jane Doe, or that you used a kit sold by Jane Doe, you are mis-representing yourself to the judges and the audience, who certainly could and may assume you DESIGNED the quilt as well as sewed and quilted it.

WHY would you NOT want to give credit where credit is due? It isn't great advertising to the designer if you neglect to say she designed it, because how am I to know this if I wander through the state fair and see your quilt? How can I know that I too can make a Jane Doe quilt?