View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 AM
AbbyQuilts

Originally Posted by pam1966
Here is my take and what I think in a nutshell. (Yes, my brain is so tiny it can fit in there too.) If I am wrong please correct me, I want to understand this.

As long as you are not SELLING a quilt, a bag, etc. that you have purchased the pattern for it's okay. And you can sell such items if the pattern maker is alright with it. But if the pattern maker states that you cannot sell items you make from their patterns, that is covered under copyright.

If you use a pattern and enter a quilt in a show, it depends upon the venue whether or not they require you to specify whose pattern you are using. I would think it would be obviously wrong to claim someone else's pattern as your own. But making a quilt from a pattern and showing it is okay.

Where am I right/wrong?

I think you need to figure out what you want to do
Whats morally right or legally right. You can do both as well.

Morally you should respect the wishes of what others ask. Its just a simple curtsy.
Legally well thats what we have been discussing and as others have said its confusing and even attorneys can argue for each side and sound convincing.
I believe and I am not expert. That when you buy a pattern it is yours to do with as you want with the finish item.
You should not copy the pattern and sell that or give that away.
You also should not claim the design as your own.
As far as showing you have to follow the shows rules.