View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 06:31 PM
dkabasketlady

Originally Posted by Katia
That is just wrong. And I am sure she knows it. What most people do not realize is that not just the seller can get in trouble, the buyers can as well.

A few years ago I bought a design for my embroidery machine on cd. In her ad she said it was an original. And she had sold hundreds. I was new to machine embroidery and had never seen the design. Well, I got a letter, well over a year later, stating that I had purchased stolen property. WTH? I did not. The wanted me to go to TX and a bunch of other stuff or I could pay 300 bucks. So ridiculous. After some research I did find out that the demands were pretty much just as much a scam as the seller was pulling. I was still scared they would come after me, but they never did, thank goodness.
Donna Jean, you did right by turning her in and demanding a refund. That puts you in the clear if the owner of the pattern ever decides to prosecute.

When I first saw people selling the bags here I went over my Bow Tuck patterns, purchased at a LQS, and I could not find anywhere on it that says the pattern is copyrighted. I am sure that does not mean it isn't, and maybe the more recent ones do say that they are. I have no idea. Even so, I still think it is wrong to sell copies of an original pattern, unless it is your own.
I found where it shows it's copyrighted! The colored picture of the bag, the page that is folded in half with the pattern inside, on the back side of this page at the VERY bottom on the lefthand side. After where it says "If you have any questions........ then it has the copyright symbol 2008 Quiltsillustrated, Inc. All rights reserved.