Old 08-01-2010, 05:40 PM
doglover

I went to an estate sale yesterday and saw an old singer in a cabinet like this one with the seat and asked how much. The lady said it was her grandmother's sewing maachine and had been put in this cabinet in the l950's but the machine was much older. She said it still worked. I was afraid to ask how much. The sale was to end in l0 minutes and they were asking people to leave. The lady ask if I was willing to pay $l5.00 and take it then. Of course I was. I didn't get a chance to try it out. I got home and check it out and everything worked except the bobbin rewind. The rubber had dry-rotted but that will be easy to replace. I checked the serial number and it was made in Elisabeth, New Jersey, l0,000 were made in l946. I have been looking for one made in l947, the year I was born but this is close enough, especially for the price. The stitches are perfect and it runs so quiet that I want to use it for quilting so I can watch tv and not have to have the tv blasting. I can't believe my find. The lady said her grandfather bought this for her grandmother as a birthday gift so it was a one owner machine.

The ones I have been looking at have been well over $200.00 and have had missing pieces and shown a lot of wear and tear on them.