Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 AM
RugosaB

My dear husband, who says I'm worth it, is nearing the end of the process of turning our dining room into my sewing room. The end project is making my sewing table. He's using 2 kitchen lower cabinets (got them unfinished, oak, from Home Depot) that he cut the toe kick off of to make them the right height, put a shelf between the two for the sewing machine, and is now to the part where he'll cut the hole in the counter for the sewing machine to drop to its correct height.

I have never sewn with the sewing machine turned around what I call sideways, but see how it could be so helpful in FMQ, so I think I'd like to turn the machine that way too, leaving the option to use it the regular way too (hope that makes sense)

My husband and I at times seem to speak different languages so it would be most helpful if anyone who has one, to post pics of sewing machines and cabinets that allow the machine to be used 'sideways' so that I have pics to show him, and also for ideas. Sites to go to would be great too.
I like the fact that turning the machine leaves a lot of counter on either side of the macine

I sort of have an idea of making the counter with a hole in it for the machine, but also a hole allowing the machine to be turned, with a 'table' piece, on little legs, that could sit in the part of the hole not used at any particular time. Gosh, I hope that made sense, it's obvious I guess to understand why hubby and I talk like we're from different planets LOL