Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pics of the way a sewing machine is turned >

Pics of the way a sewing machine is turned

Pics of the way a sewing machine is turned

Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 AM

My dear husband, who says I'm worth it, is nearing the end of the process of turning our dining room into my sewing room. The end project is making my sewing table. He's using 2 kitchen lower cabinets (got them unfinished, oak, from Home Depot) that he cut the toe kick off of to make them the right height, put a shelf between the two for the sewing machine, and is now to the part where he'll cut the hole in the counter for the sewing machine to drop to its correct height.

I have never sewn with the sewing machine turned around what I call sideways, but see how it could be so helpful in FMQ, so I think I'd like to turn the machine that way too, leaving the option to use it the regular way too (hope that makes sense)

My husband and I at times seem to speak different languages so it would be most helpful if anyone who has one, to post pics of sewing machines and cabinets that allow the machine to be used 'sideways' so that I have pics to show him, and also for ideas. Sites to go to would be great too.
I like the fact that turning the machine leaves a lot of counter on either side of the macine

I sort of have an idea of making the counter with a hole in it for the machine, but also a hole allowing the machine to be turned, with a 'table' piece, on little legs, that could sit in the part of the hole not used at any particular time. Gosh, I hope that made sense, it's obvious I guess to understand why hubby and I talk like we're from different planets LOL
Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 AM

It is so funny - my hubby always says the same thing. We can talk about something and say it two different ways and neither one of us understands the other persons way of thinking. Its the whole Mars and Venus thing. So I sympathize with you on the communication part. Good luck and happy sewing.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 AM

I can sympathize with you, I ask my husband to do something and I tell just what I want and he changes it with out asking. I ask him why and he tells me this is a better way. For whom me or him? :?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:08 AM

In the search box type free motion quilting and look for a post by newbie1001. She has pics of a table and machine used both ways.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 AM

I think this is the link you need.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-46536-1.htm
Old 08-02-2010, 02:30 PM

I showed hubby the pics that Newbie1001 posted and he thought that was the best idea!
Thank you Newbie1001. I feel kind of weird talking about you and you're not here. Just know that after having a look see, there seem to be a lot of posters that your idea helped, add my name to the list
Old 08-02-2010, 02:41 PM

I have never sewn with the sewing machine turned around it would be most helpful if anyone who has one, to post pics of sewing machines and cabinets that allow the machine to be used 'sideways' so that I have pics to show him, and also for ideas. Sites to go to would be great too.
I like the fact that turning the machine leaves a lot of counter on either side of the macine

Wow! I love this idea. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to do it too!
P.S. If there is ONLY two ways to do something....you can bet good money that my spouse will choose one way and I the other.....go figure???!!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:44 PM

Can't even finish reading your post, too taken back by the basenji! Used to have one..my soul mate.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:50 AM

Just a idea my husbands grafted the top of my table 1inch sq's and # too. I don't use it for real percise stuff but it helps. My table is a sheet of smooth plywood marked and then coated with varnish.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 AM

Not sewing related but years ago hubby gave me directions, over the phone, to where he was working. He said "When you see the tower, turn left.
So what did I do? The moment I saw the tower, I turned left. It was the wrong way. He meant, and really any normal person would intrepit as "Turn left at the tower"

It's no wonder I'm drawn to quilt names that have the word "wacky" in their name

http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...LearnWacky.php
and there are many others