Thread: BATS!
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 03:53 AM
QBeth

Came home one day to see three of my troop parading down the stairs, all in a row, with Rudy in the lead, looking SO please with himslef. When he got the living room, I saw that he had something in his mouth. As the three of them sat there in a circle, he dropped it. Mouse! I thought. Nope. When I came closer, whatever it was started to VIBRATE! And flew straight at me!!!! Oh crap! A bat!!

My furry ones are inside cats so I couldn't open the doors. As the bat proceeded to do loop d' loops around my living room/kitchen, running & ducking, I scooped up Baby Peeps and "threw" her into one bedroom and slammed the door. Squeaky was next -- woosh -- out the kitchen door, into the attached garage. That left Rudy and me.

Scooped him up, ran into my bedroom and, as the bat swooped, he & I watched the bat through a crack in the door. Me high, him low. We should have filmed it!

Long story, short, leaving Rudy in the bedroom, I went looking for a broom which, of course, I couldn't find (ah, the joys of living with someone with opposable thumbs) so I settled on a fly swatter (not joking). Opened the front door, tried to "steer" the bat outside. Nope.

Okay, how about cross ventilation to spur on the little devil?! Went over, opened the kitchen door, and VOILA!! Squeaky to the rescue (I forgot she was out there). She came bounding in and the bat finally decided to go bounding out the door!! Yes!! Good girl, Squeaky!!!

To date, the count is 3 bats, 4 chipmunks (came thru the garage), 5 mice, and variety of spiders. Had to hire Batman (again, not joking) to get rid of (hopefully) small colony in attic and to seal up all the cracks. I hate to see the carnage but a critter has to be pretty stupid to go into a house with (now) four cats! what are they thinking?