View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 AM
GrammaO

I have never posted a tutorial before so I hope this will make sense. I have tried adding binding by sewing the the front, folding to the back, pinning all around and stitch in the ditch from the front. I have never been satisfied with how it looks n the back. I either have a big flap of binding outside the stitches or I miss the binding all together and have to go back and hand tack. I have better luck sewing the binding to the front of the quilt, folding to the back side and hand stitching. But it isn't the fastest way and I have been sewing on binding hours before the shower/birthday party, etc., that it is supposed to be a gift for so here is a quick way to bind a quilt that, I think, still looks good.
First, cut your binding strips the width you desire. For this quilt I used 2 1/2" strips.
Lay your binding against the raw edge of the BACK of the quilt. Using a generous 1/4" seam allowance, stitch the binding to the back side of the quilt. Turn binding to the front of the quilt and line up your needle along the edge of the binding and top stitch on the front side. You will be able to fold and feed the binding under the needle and keep your stitches nice and neat along the edge of the binding. Use a thread that matches your backing so the the stitches on the back side are nearly invisible. That way if you miss the ditch you can hardly tell at all.

Layout binding on BACK side of quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94293[/ATTACH]

Binding laying against raw edge of back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94294[/ATTACH]

Stitch witha generous 1/4" seam allowance
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94295[/ATTACH]

Top stitch on front of quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94297[/ATTACH]

Back of quilt after top stitching. You can hardly see the stitches
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94298[/ATTACH]

Finished binding from the front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94299[/ATTACH]

Finished quilt, half an hour before the shower!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94300[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-94288.jpe   attachment-94289.jpe   attachment-94290.jpe   attachment-94292.jpe   attachment-94293.jpe  

attachment-94294.jpe   attachment-94295.jpe